Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbee, SWB brakes question

Newbee, SWB brakes question

I posted this question on Pelican and "Flieger" suggested I ask on this forum.

I don't like to be a pest so I joined up and spent about an hour trying searches. I can't say I have a clear how I should proceed. Here is the question;

I am building a 68 SWB 911 from an 912 tub that I bought minus driveline. I am trying to decide what route to go with the rear brakes. I have parts from both a 72 and a 73 parts car including front S calipers which I will be using. What is the best and most reasonable option for the rears?

1. Is the adapter piece I have seen on old posts still available? Could I use the 72 set up with an adapter ?
    2. Will the original (912) calipers with spacers and 944 rotors match the front S's?
    3. Stupid idea. Has anyone shortened the radius arms from a later car and gone that route? Then you would not need adapters to go with the 72 set up.

I haven't seen any write ups on #3 so I assume there may be a good reason it is not practicle. Is there a standard route to go?

Thanks, Greg

Easy way out use adapter and bolt up rear M calipers. Problem with that is no emergency brake. Your option 2 will not work because size of caliper piston's are too small as is brake pad 'L'. Can't comment on option 3. Another option find a rare pair of wide L early S rears and machine to accept M pad, these have piston size you will need to match up with front S calipers.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Welcome to the forum, nice project.

The E-brake hat on the later 911 brake rotors won't work with the SWB cars.

Would be best to find the correct calipers, and use 944 rotors.
    Rob Abbott

Thanks Mark. Where do you source an adapter for the M calipers?

I believe that this is the best solution:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...(all-new-parts)
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks Dave. So worst case, I can get a solution for about $600 plus shipping from the UK. That's a huge help.
    1963 356 "Relic"
    1982 Sc 3.6 Conversion "Ruby"
    1968 911 recreation "Franzenstein"
    2005 Boxster S "wife's car"

By the way, the brake guy here is Eric Shea at PMB Performance. His username here is "Neunelfer". He can set you up with restored calipers, new rotors, pads, fluid, and good advice.

www.pmbperformance.com
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Greg, a local fellow was considering the same upgrade, so I got some quotes on it. I figured that I would get calipers only from the UK to save on shipping.Many of the other parts I would get from Eric. He and I work together on some things. I have a spare set of PMB restored S calipers on the shelf here that are surplus to my needs, and I could take trade-ins. My project is going to use the 908 clone calipers that he made up by copying my original. I suggest a full set of Porterfield pads. If you have complete front strut assemblies for the M and/or S calipers then I think you have some good solutions. Let me know what parts you do have, and what plan you are considering. I rebuild calipers myself, but for nice plated restorations I get Eric to work his magic.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Dave, sent you a PM
    1963 356 "Relic"
    1982 Sc 3.6 Conversion "Ruby"
    1968 911 recreation "Franzenstein"
    2005 Boxster S "wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by scotiagreg View Post
    Thanks Mark. Where do you source an adapter for the M calipers?
    If memory serves me any 69-83 911 non turbo will have M rears they are easy to find not sure if all had 38mm pistons that's what you want. If you have a 72-73 parts car with S front calipers then you should have the correct rear M calipers with 38mm pistons. I fabricated my own adapters not really that big a deal but per previous no emergency brake. As for rotors with my adapter any 69-83 vented rear will work. With this setup eveything will be like factory S brake system including a 73 RS except EB. You can't go wrong with Alan and crew they have forgotten more than I know, same with Eric Shea. I would contact both.
    Last edited by MarkS; 02-08-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.