Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member with pics.

New member with pics.

I joined this forum last week and I have already had great success with members helping me understand my options for rear brakes on my 68 resto-mod. The car started out as an abandoned and rusted 912 without engine or tranny and is in mid progress to become just a fun old SWB toy. I had trouble downloading pics the other day but I have been able to start an album on my member site. I condensed 300 + pictures and a year and a half's part time work down to 30 odd pictures. Please have a look. Feedback on the project is always welcome.

Thanks, Greg
    1963 356 "Relic"
    1982 Sc 3.6 Conversion "Ruby"
    1968 911 recreation "Franzenstein"
    2005 Boxster S "wife's car"

Why does the 68 have a 72 only external oil fill? Part of the conversion?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Greg,
    look like it will a very nice ride! what engine are you putting in?
    cheers
    tenn
    EarlyS #1342

Davep, I decided to put the 72 oil fill on the car because I always thought it was sorta cool like the 911R. But because I am going with stock marker lights I decided to leave the flush cover and release system intact. I am building something to tickle my own fancy and I have a 72 parts car so why not? That's why I named the project "Franzenstein" meaning German and made from the parts of others. I actually have the 911R rear lights but I don't think I will use them on this project. I have a 82 SC 3.6 conversion that has RSR front and rear bumpers so it may get the bosch tail lights.

Tennster, I purchased a 2.4 engine built by Henry Schmidt at Supertech to S specs. It was previously owned by a fellow in Ontario Canada but he was unable to get the MFI set up properly. He decided to part out his project so I bought his engine and 5 speed 901. I had the engine running on a jig and after some tweaking had it running pretty well. Final set up will be done after I get it in the chassis. I still need an MFI fuel pump. The guy I purchased the engine from still has his but it is buried in storage over the winter. He will provide it to me in the next short while... I hope. The engine itself has only 17 miles on it since Henry built it. I am led to believe that the engine should make close to 200hp. We will see.

I can't believe the amount of welding, grinding etc that had to be done. It was never ending. But... the chassis is rock solid now and many of the previously spot welded seams are now seam welded. I will be using an updated cross member and newer sway bars. Most of the suspension will be 72. I have S front calipers and rears with 38mm pistons and 3 inchs between tabs. This weekend I plan to make a jig an attempt to shorten the 72 banana arms. One of my hardest decisions was whether or not to put the small flares on the back... If I am successful with shortening the 72 radius arms I will probably need the flares as it adds 1/2 inch track to each side.

I am an accountant so I will likely needs lots of advice. Had this sickness for a long, long time. Can't really get excited about anything except air cooled stuff. I've got the Boxster ( wife"s ) and I've had an M3 and other great cars but they all make me just a little sleepy compared to my 356, 3.6 conversion and I am sure this SWB when it's done.
    1963 356 "Relic"
    1982 Sc 3.6 Conversion "Ruby"
    1968 911 recreation "Franzenstein"
    2005 Boxster S "wife's car"

Hey Greg, welcome. I cain't see no Photos? Wuzzup?

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Bravo. You clearly bought that car back from the dead! Will it be Tangerine when done?
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Hey Greg, welcome. I cain't see no Photos? Wuzzup?
    Me no see pics either
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

His pics are linked from his profile page.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Ok, I see. Nice set of progress shots. You know what Greg, I have a very cool set-up that allows one to use Carrera or SC brakes on the back of an SWB. Bolt-on, new. Might save some grief shortening the '72 bananas.
    Last edited by Jens; 02-12-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Very cool........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"