Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on this one

Need some advice on this one

Still in the hunt and not finding a good car as of late. Came across this one

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...208444611.html

and was hoping to get some thoughts of the "experienced" eyes of the board. Spoke to this guy a few days back and he does not know much about the car and purchased alst year. Says that many people offered him his ask at the Pomona Antique car get togehter but surprisingly did not sell it?

Might be willing to take a drive up north to take a look but first wanted some thoughts to see if there is anything that stands out as a warning sign. Asked the seller to send me more photos of the interior and engine bay and they never came. Also does not know if the #'s match.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

To much BS in his ad, wouldn't waste my time. You might get lucky buying from a mushroom but more likely to get ripped off.
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

'Two-minute Warning . . . '

K, Dennis --- how serious are you? 'Cause it looks like show-time.

Guy looks like a Doof? Who cares?

Knows anything about Porsches?
    Doesn't return calls?
    Maybe flakey?
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.

If this is a car you might really want then --- just two questions:

Does The Doof have title? (As in NOW.) Yes or no?

And do you have money? (Ditto.) Yes or no?

If you answered 'yes' to the above . . . then set up a meet. Make it happen.

Pick a time and place to look the car over.

Then look it over. The trunk and battery boxes, the rockers, the bottoms of the doors, under the carpets, blah, blah, blah --- all those nasty places that this site is filled with pictures of. Bring a paint-gauge, pocket magnet, X-ray glasses --- what ever you think you need.

Look at the VIN and engine numbers, then look them up in The Red Book. Are they in the right range? Without documentation, all numbers are assumed to be NON-matching. Period.

Open the engine lid. Make the Seller start the car. You watch. From behind. See or hear or smell anything? Then take a drive. Brakes, signals, lights, etc. 15 minutes minimum. Period. And check the oil when you get back --- level and condition.

Still want it? 'Cause if anything looks or sounds or smells or feels funny? . . . Walk. Just thank him, then leave.

But if you want it, then you better have at least a rough idea of what it takes to fix anything that you may have found --- crusty wheels, cracked dash, crunchy synchros, blah, blah, blah. If you don't --- then go home. Or?

Guess. Then add 50% . . .

. . . And offer.

You're not friends. You're not a Coupla Car Guys. You're not fellow-anythings. This is business and The Doof has something that you want.

So don't eff-around. Don't worry about hurting anybody's feelings or being right or getting caught-up in details. Get cool. And calm. If you want it, then buy it. Make it happen.

'Cash.'

'Right now. Bank is down the street. I've called ahead. We'll do the transaction there. I need your title. And a bill-of-sale.'

Even if you totally puss-out on closing anything . . . at least you'll have set-up the meet, done your 'look-over' . . . and maybe learned something for next time. Seriously. Call it a learning experience.

Good luck. And let us know what happens.

Rick Kreiskott

PS I'd offer 5-grand less just for that ugly-a$$ color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-13-2011 at 09:28 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Yea, you'd want to look closely at that one as it's been for sale for a while. Pretty sure that pic was taken at Pomona Swap Meet if that tells you anything.

Dear Dennis:

Stick with the wisdom of the old timers-

A good T E or S will go up in value-
    Last edited by 2008SPorsche; 02-14-2011 at 05:54 AM.

I like sepia as a color so it is hard for me to discount especially if it is original paint. I do not think $22,000 is unreasonable for a T w/ high originality. First get an S Registry or Pelican volunteer to scout the car for you then I would take / send the car to a reliable shop for a PPI. Makes it accross the hurdles then I would consider buying.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Is it corroded or just incredibly dirty?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Rick & others,

Where can THE RED BOOK be found?

Tom

The Red Book

Thing's available, like, everywhere.

Barnes & Noble, Borders, on-line retailers like Amazon or The Motor Bookstore (http://www.themotorbookstore.com/076031960x.html), specialty books stores like Autobooks International . . . call around.

And keep in mind --- you're not buying photos, an ad presentation. Or a Seller. You're buying a Porsche.

And if you don't know what you're doing? . . . This is how you learn. You've got nothing to lose but the time it'll take to make a call, drive to a meet, and do a look-over.

And take pictures, too. Pass it along if it's not the car for you.

Rick Kreiskott

PS Dennis --- my car was a 'pass-along':

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Ten-Fifty-nine --- see posts #
    and 10.

And I bought it --- from 3000 miles away! Dude --- you've got nothing to lose. ('Cept maybe a Porsche. ) And good luck, Man!
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

I went to see this car about a six weeks ago. The seller has somehow convinced himself that the car is worth even more than his asking price, and claimed to have had an offer from a European buyer at the asking price. I told him what I was willing to pay (much less) and he cordially declined. I didn't drive the car, as the registration had expired, but he did start it for me. A few weeks later, the seller brought the car to the Pomona Swap Meet with a sign essentially asking for someone to beat the high offer of $22k. Looks like he hasn't had any takers. To me, the car looked like it was found by the current seller in a neighbor's garage or backyard, purchased for a relatively small sum and then had minimal effort made to get it running. Plenty of issues when I saw it, none of them fatal, but they all add up to time, money and risk. I don't think the paint is original, although if I recall correctly the car is originally Sepia. And the car was incredibly dirty inside and out!