Thread: radio installation and ID help needed

radio installation and ID help needed

So I want to test the radio in the 72T I bought

Previous owner said it didn't work I remember it working in the USA back in 2006 when I drove the car at R Gruppe Sonoma
    Firstly I think the radio in my 72T is more like a 69 radio and the 69S radio is stereo which is more like the 72T era...any views appreciated. Smaller radio in pics is what I think should be 69 (but was in 72T) larger is the stereo version (was in 69S but I think is a 72/73 radio) both USA radios as FM finishes at 108 interstingly reversed, 108 right on small (see pic) and left on larger radio. Larger radio has a D at the start of its serial which I think makes it 72/73 other radio has no markings.

Larger radio pushes straight into clip on bulkhead but smaller radio needs another clip attached to the back of the radio to reach the same bulkhead clip again shown in pic.

So I started looking.

Firstly I discovered, since the 72T was converted to RHD, it had lost a speaker in fact no speaker and no wiring. I created a correct speaker shape with a new speaker attached see pic of original RS speaker and my mock up so now ready to install/test

I get that I need an aerial, power, earth and speaker connections but not sure where to get it all connected

aerial is a no brainer fits in hole on LHS

power is obvioulsy the bit marked 12v but what colour wiring thats on the car should be going in to that and it comes off the ignition correct??

speaker is a no brainer two clips on speaker but what sort of attachment do I need to fit on the other end of the wires to fit in the two speaker holes on the RHS of the radio.

Where do I get the earth from and I assume thats the clip just to the RHS of the aerial hole with a fuse in the middle somewhere, I am used to brown being earth but can't find anything like that in the wiring at the back of the area where radio fits in to car.

Smnall radio has no markings alrger has D2903544 and 7631612000 i think it is.

Help please
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

BOYER73S ,

starting in 1970 (actually very late 1969) , Blaupunkt changed their system of designating year of production from a letter to a number . From then on its the 4th digit of the number which starts 763.

It begins with 0 for 1970 (And I have in my notes for SOME very late 1969 units) , and progressing one number per year following.

Hence your large radio 763 '1' , was made in 1971.

Remember , radios might not have been sold for a year or more . So a original radio , can actually be built one or two years earlier.

The size of the case has to do with various models

There should be a yellow wire from term. 75 of the ignition switch, with an inline fuse holder, to power your radio. Koenigs Classic in Holland has the correct metric sized speaker.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks I'll look for the yellow power wire and attach a fuse as I am sure its not there currently (10amp???)

Clyde
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Interesting...The original radio in my 72 T was just like that, but with white push buttons.

Those are its exact numbers for the larger body radion Raj, 763164200?, can't make out last number as paper is torn/damaged, except is has AM/FM buttons not the ones in the pic you attached.

Also has D2903544 on the sticker next to the 76 number

Its appears this is a 71/72 radio for sure but it was in my 69S as original which cannot be correct.
    thhe one in the 72 when I got it has no numbers on it but everyhting points to it being an earlier radio (not stereo) and smaller body.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks Raj.

Yes it matches stereo numbers and is stereo so that seems all sorted and buttons have been changed for UK market I suspect or did US radios have the am/fm markings also??

Now to find someone who can get it working.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Raj

Could you please send me that technical info on 7631642 ( clyde@the-boyers.biz) or direct me to where you found it. Thank you
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6