Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10th Texas Hill Country Rallye

mad scientist
    Leon showing his colors. Yes, they match the car.

After gassing up we were now one large group. 911s as far as we could see. At first we were stretched out approaching 337. Then gaps formed as the twisty roads dictated the pace.

Eventually we stopped at another scenic hill top. this was mostly to regroup.

As were were late to lunch I actually used the GPS to take a shortcut. Normally I am a paper map kind of guy. I can see the whole picture. Keep in mind there is no cell service out there. Your electronic map on a smart phone is worthless. Of course, the GPS does not know paved from limestone. Yes, we took a dirt road for a few miles.

There were laughs between Al and I since... I was leading this group of great cars down a dirt road. And... they kept following me. Who was worse at this point? the leader or the followers? We kept the speeds down since the dust was significant. OH how I need to build a beater rally car for this type of place.

At least the other end of the road was paved. Quite fun too!

Of course our short cut was for naught. The connecting road on the other side did not exist. Well on the old map it did but not anymore. This meant a 20 mile detour to go 'round the mountain. At this point we were all tired, hot and hungry! I know I was cooked at this point.

JMZ loving the reserved parking. Yes, everyone is friendly in TX. Even our signs are friendly.

26 cars made it to the lunch stop. Wow What a great group.

1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

mad scientist
    By the time we arrived. David, Gay and Casey the dog were relaxing in the shade. You may have seen pictures of Casey in a 2010 issue of Automobile. He is a well traveled Labradoodle.

Once inside, lunch was served. Cool beverages and great conversation continued a great day.

Even the passengers needed to cool off in the shade. Veronica and Leigh were enjoying the rockers after spending the morning in a vintage Porsche! We all wished our wives were as cool!

Thanks to the Silver Spur Ranch for a great lunch.

Cool we are back on the road for more fun.

The heat and a full belly were too much for Al. He needed to rest his eyes a bit. At least I knew where I was headed and did not need a navigator.

We made it back to the hotel. the targa was a little dirty from the trip. A few hundred miles of backroads will do this. the only issue was a severe oil leak that is getting worse. I think I sloshed enough oil out of the breather to make the New Horizon look small.

mad scientist
    After a dip in the pool to cool off, and a shower to wash off the filth it was time for dinner. The Rathskeller is a well known basement restaurant in FBurg. The funny thing is that basements are almost non-existent in TX. A good time was had by all.

Desert anyone? A monster apfel strudel a la mode.

I know that some will thank me for organizing. I helped with the route. Stefan at GTS Classics did a brunt of the front-end organization. Morrie did most of the back-end organization. PP donated some great door prizes and givaways as well as donations from Mayo Performance and the Sierra Madre Collection.

I am blessed to have great friends that I get to drive with. We share a common interested through these cars. It was wonderful to meet some new faces and fantastic people.

Now, how many of you will be newbies to our Rallye next year? We had representation from the West Coast and South of the Border. What about the Mid West, SE and East Coast? Yes, this is a challenge for those in-state and out of state.

Great documentation and narrative ............. this is moving into the #1 spot on my P Car to do list. Thanks for sharing ......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Ditto here. And Google maps says Fredricksburg TX is only "1 day 1 hour" away! Oh wait, I guess they don't figure in sleeping, eating, fuel and other pesky annoyances ..... 1500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Ditto here. And Google maps says Fredricksburg TX is only "1 day 1 hour" away! Oh wait, I guess they don't figure in sleeping, eating, fuel and other pesky annoyances ..... 1500 miles.
    I bet you could find some good back roads to make it an even 2000.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

mad scientist
    Curt, 1500 miles is nothing. I guess I need to make the route longer. You would think it to be too short after the arrival drive. Yes, I hear groans from everyone that was there on Saturday.

I hope that we will have more from out of state next year. Maybe we could look at a Targa TX and add a few more days driving.

Yeah, I guess 1500 is a stroll in the park for a Midwest guy!

**Why was this thread demoted to regional status?