Thread: Gumby 1953's Lead Balloon Post

Gumby 1953's Lead Balloon Post

Hi Groovy Guys and Girls,

I seemed to have misread the Gallery here (and not ina bad way) with my Phone call to Chad McQueen.

I couldn't seem to get the two Poster's of the McQueen car to jump in (I'm sure you guys have other lives outside of the 911S reg) so I kinda threw Raj into the mix but.............

So I called Chad and told him why I wanted to get into his head a little about his Dad's 911's. Chad said, ask away Dude!

Thanks Nine917 for the "Why don't you ask him about his health first?", which of course I would have done anyway because I knew how hurt he was from that wreck! Chad said, "I'm doing pretty good besides the fact that I don't have much neck movement, but I can still get into the new car Klubsport just built me! The car really "Rocks" and I can't wait for the "Silver State"!"

I asked Chad if he knew about the McQueen 911S auction and he kinda knew something was going to happen. I told him that the car was going to be shown at Amelia Island and then auctioned at RM in Monterey. Chad then asked what I thought it would sell for and I told him north of a Millie, he said good for them!! I asked why he kept the cars he still has and he said my Dad thought these were the one's that actually meant something to him personally, i.e. the Speedster. Chad said "What do you think that baby's worth?", I said "Priceless" and I think he kinda agreed!!

We then talked about the 911 Steve bought new in 68', the 1969 911 S. My Dad really liked that car, he said "It really ran great with the 2.2 injected engine....hey you know you can get the McQueen Cars book and it explains most everything about the cars.", I told him that I have the book and looked at the photos but haven't read any of it...he Laughed!

Chad then said, "You know I never have cared about keeping one of the cars longer to make more money...... but how much do you think the 69S is worth?". I answered its only worth what someone will pay and the general chat of the early S Forum is all over the place with the value of both cars. Chad said he knows why the value of the Movie car would be high, but wanted to know if I thought the 69' would be worth more. I said "Yes, the 69' would be worth more!". Remember, I said it before on one of the Posts that the Movie car was the most famous "S".

What you guys have to pick up on, is that Chad knows there is huge value in anything Steve McQueen and he's very proud of that but he doesn't wake up every day and think "How much more money am I worth because of my Famous dad?"!

Chad is definitely the son of "The King of Cool"! Chad also asked if you guys would go to the "Vampire Diaries" site and ck out his son Steve, (wonder who he's named after?) Steve is a regular on the program.

Chads younger son is already winning races in karts and he's really proud of that too!

Like his father Chad is a Real Racer and that's what I dig about him!

Chad asked if I would like to be a part of "The Friends of Steve McQueen Car Show" and maybe bring the Gunnar G-99 Gt-1 car that Chad drove for us. I told him that the Livery had changed from "The Speed Merchants" scheme to the "Paul Newman's Hole in the wall Gang" camps livery from when Paul drove for us! He said "How cool would that be to have the car there!", I said real cool, I will do my best. I then thought to myself, I own a Porsche race car that a McQueen and a Newman drove. I never thought of that!!! Now I'm thinkn, "Is the G-99 car worth more money because It was driven by the two big name "Cool of Cool" Dudes?"..............Post away my friends!

Leadhead,

Kevin Jeannette

Raj-Miester,

Well said!

KJ

I am glad to hear things are good with Chad. We were in the next garage stall at the 24HR and had some cross talk during the first day. Randy came in due to the red flag and we went to work on the car, I can still remember when the suckup truck stopped directly behind our garage stall and I saw what was left of Chad's car. There was no way he was not in bad shape. We got word thruout the weekend that he would live but not much more information. I know Bob Snodgrass did a lot for Chad that weekend and for some time after. I had the chance to talk with Chad at Treffen this past year, it was good to see that he was adjusting well. Sounds like things are going well. He is one of the good guys.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Thanks for the update, Gumby!

I'm with Raj on this one -- my favorite 911 is which ever one I've got the keys to. Isn't that the true meaning of Donkey-Bop?

Bring the G-99 out to Chino! Our "mutual friend" has his cars there now. Newman, McQueen, Petty, and Uncle Miltie; not a bad history on that one!

Gunnar G99

G99 With a great driver lineup.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

KJ you wore me out, let me have a senior moment here

KJ just a cat nap. I'll be ready when it is my turn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow... Cool Pix johns4949,

When I wrote my post, in the last line "post away my friends", I was kinda referring to the ones that will say that's cool that both a McQueen and a Newman drove the G-99 and then there would be the ones that would say "that car ain't worth _ _it" cause its not an Original GT-1! I figured I left the door open on that one ...."and I'm cool with that"!

What I didn't figure was, there were other fans that do take really cool photos and sometimes they surface!! What a wonderful "Memory" of both my friends and driver's that meant so much in my life, both professionally and as Buddies! These two "Real Men" who gave everything to our Sport I.E. Racing Porsche's and then all of the Great stories (and boy could I tell a few) deserve to be seen now and again, espically for the "Youngies" who weren't around!

Thanks johns4949 for giving me a "double boost" of how cool life can sometimes be! Thanks also for including my son Gunnar and of course Chad in the line up of whos cool today! You made my day!!

Kevin

PS My wife wants to know if we can purchase, use, beg, borrow, steal, or just take a few of them?