Thread: LED lit instruments

LED lit instruments

I have been trying to take and post this one picture forever, finally got a decent image. Getting a picture in the dark is not easy when you don't know what you are doing

North Hollywood Speedometer rebuilt the instruments with LED lights, a fantastic upgrade over the stock bulbs. The picture makes them appear overly bright, but they are actually very pleasing to the eye, its a cool white light. I'm very happy with the results and recommend the upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Abbott

I agree. One of my cars has the same upgrade. It's fantastic, particularly for a car you drive a lot.
    Early S Reg #1809

912->911 conversion
    This is not an upgrade of simply replacing the bulbs, but rather replacing the lighting all together with LED strip lighting (from appearances?). Is it still dimmable?
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    This is not an upgrade of simply replacing the bulbs, but rather replacing the lighting all together with LED strip lighting (from appearances?). Is it still dimmable?
    Dimmable...good question, I'll let you know when it gets dark here. I will say this, it is really perfect at the current setting, and I have not needed to adjust it. The photo is not very accurate, the true light is a "soft cool light" that's easy on the eyes.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    I've had North Hollywood do the strip lighting conversion on my car and can only say.........don't wait another day to do this. The improvement is dramatic. I can't believe I drove Ruprecht with the feeble glow from those stupid little 4W stock bulbs for as long as I did.

As far as being dimable, I never thought of it 'til I read your question, so I just now went to the garage to test them and found that they dim, but not in the conventional sense. Normally when you turn the lightswitch, the dash lights go from max. brightness to zero illumination, after the conversion there seem to be two levels of brightness: max, which isn't blindingly bright, like the LED bulbs for instance, and the less bright second setting, which is, I would guess about 20 or 30% less bright.

Both setting are a notable improvement over stock.............and you probably won't ever have to replace the strips, unlike the old bulbs.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I replaced the stock bulbs in my instruments with the LED units and it is an improvement over stock but clearly not as good as above. The stock bulb locations don't do enough to fill the gauge with light even when using LED bulbs.

I think I'll do this upgrade next winter when my cars hibernating.
    Last edited by aporschaguy; 02-28-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

member #1515
    When I was young I always thought that my 73 instrument lighting was too bright on max setting and always turned it down. Now on max i can barely see the gauges, age? I too will have the LED conversion when I can.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs