Thread: Innovate LM-2 Digital AF Meter

Innovate LM-2 Digital AF Meter

Hey Guys

Wondering how people feel about these meters.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

I'm thinking about having a go at tweaking the mfi on my car myself as soon as the weather clears here. Before I go near it though I'm going to digest this thread on Pelican a few more times.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-surgery.html

But step one would be installing the LM-2. Anyone ever run this software on a Mac or do you need a PC?

Thanks for any input.

A.T.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

I've recently purchased an LM-2 and have had some success tuning my PMO'd 2.5, and this past weekend got my first AFR readings from my MFI'd 2.7. Can't imagine a DIY'er like myself trying to tune either (carb's of MFI) without a tool like this. Only comments so far are . . . 1) I really need to log RPM's to make the AFR's meaningful (ie. can be dangerous trying to read the meter and drive at the same time), and 2) the cig lighter power cord needs to be replaced with some clips. As for the software, I have it loaded on a Vista PC . . . no problems, but I have not tried to load/read a log yet.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

I am very happy with mine, I use the tail clamp for now but am welding in a bung in most of my 911's, I will use ONE bung in the opposite end of the tail pipe on MFI cars and two bungs in carbed cars. Carbed cars would be better welding in the headers as both banks are individually adjustable.

Small "reference thread" on Pelican
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nd-sensor.html

If you plan on running a fixed install Innovate now has a fine kit for this.
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

Btw, I cannot run it on my mac, you may have luck if you install parallels
    http://www.parallels.com/eu/products/desktop/
    or just Bootcamp and a windows install.
    I prefer to keep my mac clean so I have a small cheapo laptop for the innovate and other neccessary windoze programs.
    Last edited by teveo; 02-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    --

Thanks guys.

I've been reading the some of the stuff on the Innovate forum. There seem to be some real issues if you want to read RPMs. Anyone here have those issues?

A.T.
    A.T.

I sorted out the tach readings issue a while back. It all worked beautifully until not long ago. Now, for some reason it will either read the afr or the tach numbers but not both at the same time. It just randomly flips back and forth or just shows erratic readings for both. I've re-calibrated the O2 sensors. It's bang on.

It just occurred to me that we installed an electronic ignition earlier this year. Might that have something to do with it? Didn't Innovate used to have a Forum on their web site?

Thanks for any tips.

A.T.
    Last edited by A.T.; 11-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    A.T.

I've used the LM-2 for years on my bikes. The trick for rpm is that it wants the negative lead on the ignition coil as its sensing line (rpm+ B/W). The RPM- line (blue) should be grounded. Also depends on if you have a capacitive discharge system. The CDI boxes have short pulses that dont work well with the inductive clamp sensor (you should be using one with CDI) and confuse it if they are multispark. In those cases, you need to use an actual tach signal.

As for inability to read rpm and afr at the same time, you need to check the mode setting. Cycle it till you get the 2 channel reading.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

The Bosch CDI is triggered off the points, so you would tap into the "C" lead to the CDI (which runs to the points).

I use parallels desktop to run LogWorks on Mac. It's a better PC than a PC.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I installed one and absolutly love it. Look at it all the time. Know immediatly when my car is running lean or rich and adjust thottle postion accoringly. Once car is warmed up don't really pay much attention to it. But so critical in getting the MFI correctly dialed in. great mounting location is in the cigerette lighter.

Chris
    73 911 E