Thread: MOMO Prototipo S wheel

MOMO Prototipo S wheel

Can any of our wheel experts provide any information on this wheel please.

It is a 350mm slightly dished wheel that I had not seen anywhere else until last week when I noticed one fitted to the 908 being featured in the latest issue of one of the monthly Porsche magazines here in the UK.

My example is dated 5/79 and has the MOMO logo in a single line rather than the early stacked style but the "MOMO", "prototipo" and "S" are all engraved rather than painted.

A few pics below.

Would like to understand if there were any specific make/model applications (maybe not a wheel Porsche used which would explain why I have not seen it elsewhere) and from what year was it available?

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

See post #18, wheel #3 . . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=catalog+wheel

One of a myriad of different styles produced by MOMO. If you have the hub . . . then it'll fit your car.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-28-2011 at 05:03 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Tim. To the best of my limited knowledge, like many aftermarket steering wheels, the Prototipo S
    was not associated with any particular make or model.
    (Raj, that wheel on the Ferrari looks like a Momo 5C... which I think was the same design used for the Jacky Ickx wheel).

I personally think the Prototipo S is a beautifully designed steering wheel. I have one and like it a lot. They were produced in the late 1970s through the early '80s and possibly later. They are somewhat rare to find but do come up occasionally on ebay. This one here is a bit over priced in my opinion:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-ORIGINAL...item588cbaa344
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 03-01-2011 at 02:51 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Tim - as Mark & others have already said, the Prototipo S was simply one of the wheels that Momo offered for the aftermarket & it isn't really associated with any one particular marque - in my experience it's not often seen on Porsches.

It's not one of my favourite wheels but I did buy one on ebay a few months ago as it was cheap (& I can't help myself)!
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    ... I did buy one on ebay a few months ago ... (I can't help myself)!
    Sorry you have that problem Andy. Personally, I have Buddhist-like, Zen inspired self control and I'm thinking of teaching a class.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thanks Raj (and Rick, Mark & Andy) for your replies........if I decide to sell it I must remember the "as found in Porsche 908 and 917" !!!!!!

Regards
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167