Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed in identifying front bumper rubber

Help needed in identifying front bumper rubber

I have a slight dilemma and I know someone has the answer. I have a 1973.5 911T with an "S" front bumper with the spoiler. The car was originally equipped with those hideous black foam front/rear bumperettes. I recently located and bought the rather rare black metal front and rear bumperettes that apparently were available of Euro models.

The rears fit fine but the fronts are a bit narrower than the foam units and thus, the black bumper edge rubber doesn't fit properly. I'm not sure if the rubber has shrunk or if it requires a different piece. Can anyone direct me to the correct replacement rubber bumper edge material such as the 1 piece I've seen on other cars that I can either cut to fit properly or if it's in 3 pieces will fit the narrower metal bumperettes. In my parts book, it indicates that there is a narrow and wide version and I'm not sure what I have. Attached are photo's that should help in identifying what I need. The first photo shows the difference in width between the installed foam bumperette and the black metal bumperette. The second photo shows a bit more of the front leading edge rubber bumper material.

thanks in advance.

ps. If you have decent front bumper edge material that I need, let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You have the wide S bumper trim. The rubber insert that looks to short is available new from Porsche. If you get stuck I have them in stock but I am in the UK and also not about for 2 weeks at the workshop as a new family member is due tomorrow.

Alan

Thanks for the information.
    Another couple of questions. Do they make a solid piece of rubber that is continous. If so, then I could cut the rubber to fix the bumperettes for an exact fit.

Do you have part numbers?

thanks again

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi Larry,

I think the one piece is 901.505.405.51. I you want the have them in 3 pieces then the middle one is 901.505.405.00 and 901.505.083.00 for the L/R sides. I would stick with original Porsche parts, the aftermarket rubber is different and sometimes doesn't fit as good.

Best regards,

Cees

Thanks Cees, Do you think I'd be better off buying the 1 piece and cutting it? Or, should I buy the 3 piece?

Buy the single strip and cut it. As a tip, incase you ever need to do the rears, buy a single long front and cut it in half and do both rears.

HTH

Alan

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    I agree with Alan...

Cees

Thank you for the great information

Wow. I've always thought that the bumper guards (chrome, black-metal, or rubber) were 'notched' to fit over the rubber part of the bumper deco trim. I seem to recall seperate parts for cars with 'narrow' trim or the wider 'S' trim. Seems to be the case through '68, of course I realize you're dealing with a '73.5....
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

It seems like all the original bumpers I've seen (other than the big bumper guard 73's) would fit over an uncut deco rubber. A hole had to be drilled through the deco for the top bumper guard bolt was all.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.