Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1971 911 Race Car- 911T shell with 911E engine

FS: 1971 911 Race Car- 911T shell with 911E engine

I have decided to offer my '71 911 race car for sale (which I refer to as "806") and thought I would share the details here first. I have come reluctantly to the conclusion that this car belongs, like the airplane I sold a few years ago, in the hands of someone who will properly enjoy and appreciate it.

History:
    This car was manufactured in January, 1971 and began life as a Light Ivory 911T, sold to an original owner in Fresno, California. The car remained there for the majority of its life, and was acquired in the mid-90s by a well-known club racer and enthusiast in the Northern Virginia area.

The owner had previously raced a silver 70S and totaled it at Watkins Glen. He bought 806 and spent thousands of dollars swapping all the 70S parts over to the 911T shell. This car was classified in PCA G-stock in those days, and had a great club racing career with many podium finishes in class. It was sold, including the S engine, to another club racer in Danbury, CT. The Danbury racer successfully campaigned the car for a couple years, again with podium finishes in class, until the S motor blew. Given the competition in G-stock, the decision was made to install an "E" motor instead and reclassify the car in H-stock as a 1971 911E. The similarities between the models allowed the car to be a "duplicate in all regards" with respect to the PCA club racing rules. It's currently classified in PCA "C-stock" as a 1971 911E. Until PCA offers a classification of COMPLETE BASTARD, 911E is it.

The 911E engine was built on a 911T case, a 2R. I guess the original case had a crack in the oil scavenge fitting, so the T case was substituted. Doesn't bother me in the slighest insofar as none of the numbers match anyway, and the T case was probably less stressed than the original given the lower power output.

My ownership:

I acquired the car in 2001 from the racer in Danbury as my first Club Racer. Ran it succesfully and gained a couple class podiums. Never any accident damage, period. The current spec list is basically to the limit of the PCA Stock Rule Book including:

Shell:
    Safety Devices bolt-in cage
    Aftermarket fiberglass ducktail
    Fiberglass RS style rear bumper
    Custom "Narrow Body RSR" front spoiler/splitter combination with oil cooler vent and ducts
    Total repaint 2008 to very nice, almost concours standards. At this time, any paint chips from racing were cleaned up and the car has ONE race weekend since.
    Fiberglass headlight covers (over original sugar scoops)
    Paint scheme light ivory/tangerine (copy of 68T/R scheme)
    Momo seats
    Schroth Profi III harness on driver side
    Remote six-pole battery disconnect in radio hole (within reach of driver)
    Weltmeister Short Shift
    WEVO or Stomski Shift coupling (I don't know which, but it's a U-joint)
    Momo Mod.07 wheel and Momo shift knob
    Safety Devices AFFF fire system with dischargers in cockpit, trunk and engine compartment
    Hawker PC680 battery in secure mount in Smugglers Box
    Window Net
    NOS dead pedal welded in
    GT racing aluminum rear tow hook
    3" web front tow strap (got the scars from the old one!)
    Smart Racing Products cold air system with eyeball vent in clock hole
    North Hollywood Speedometer 10,000 RPM tachometer
    Longacre convex racing mirror

Engine and Gearbox:
    Stock 2,2E, good leakdown (10% or under in cylinders last time I checked)
    Rebuilt Fuel Injection Pump by Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection ($1800)
    Stock throttle bodies (not rebuilt)
    MSD 6AL and High Vibration Blaster Coil
    M&K Three-outlet "Rallye" exhaust- meets Lime Rock Park noise limit with caps on
    911/01 transaxle with Factory ZF Limited Slip

Oil System:
    Setrab 172 Row Cooler in front spoiler
    Aeroquip "Startlite" Kevlar braided hose, -16AN throughout, Aeroquip and Earls fittings
    FABCAR baffled oil tank, extended capacity
    Adjustable oil pressure sender
    Carrera tensioners

Fuel System:
    ATL 17 Gallon 911-specific fuel cell
    In-tank Walbro pump in ATL "black box" at cell bottom (no starvation)
    Smart Racing inertia fuel cut off switch
    Wilton fuel pressure regulator and peanut gauge plumbed into tank
    ATL fuel sender (not calibrated yet)
    Aeroquip braided stainless -6AN with Aeroquip fittings through tunnel, Startlite up front

Suspension:
    23/31 solid sway-a-way torsion bars
    Custom Valved Bilsteins by Dan Jacobs, Oxford, CT
    Smart Racing Products 31/27mm front and rear antiroll bars
    Roller bearings in front control arms
    Wevo Camberking
    Aluminum banana arms from 1974
    Elephant racing rear monoballs
    Sway-a-way adjustable spring plates
    Elephant Polybronze spring plate bushings
    Recent CV axles both sides
    21mm Ate master cylinder with Castrol SRF
    Recent new "A" calipers and front rotors
    Performance Friction Pads (have a couple used Pagid Orange sets)
    Boxster 16x7 with 6mm spacers front and rear (43mm offset)
    Hoosier R6 225/50R16 with a couple race weekends on them

The new paint was professionally done by Damon Josz at Series900 in Sunapee, NH. The car had a lot of paint chips, no battle damage on my watch, and we took the opportunity to weld up a lot of the little holes in the tub put there over the years by various oil cooler approaches. Vinyl meatball graphics were applied, these can easily be removed to suit your preferred livery. The tangerine trunk lid was a nice, dry California lid, if you aren't crazy about the Tangerine you can easily swap it for a different one, that's the only orange thing on the car. It's otherwise factory light Ivory throughout.

I have about $60,000 into this car between the original acquisition cost and all the upgrades-- the paint alone was about a $12,000 proposition, MFI restoration another $3,000, suspension parts and labor were $10,000.

Sale price is $35,000 FOB Tampa, Florida, as-is. Light Ivory steel trunklid, rear decklid, steel rear bumper available at extra cost FOB upstate New York.

I am happy to arrange shipping within the 48 Contiguous US States or from the nearest port internationally. (Hint hint to our German friends) Shipping at buyer's sole expense and responsibility.

I can be reached via Private Message or email through the BBS.

Thanks for looking!

Attention buyers from Lagos, Nigeria: I will require a deposit equal to 150% of the asking price in gold bullion before arranging shipment. Thank you.

2013 Update: Replaced battery with new Odyssey PC680. Drained storage oil from fuel system, changed engine oil, car starts and runs great. There is some white smoke from the exhaust from oil having drained into the heat exchangers over long storage-- this will burn off with driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 304065; 05-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Additional photos

This could be you!
    Last edited by 304065; 03-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Challenge me.
    Doubt me.
    Disrespect me.
    Tell me I'm older.
    Tell me I'm slower.

Tell me I can no longer fly.

(By popular demand I have been requested to post a photo with the "slightly less ugly wheels," which the black center Fuchs are. That's the old, pre-paint, livery.)

Ok, here's a shot of before the repaint with the "pretty wheels."

I forgot to mention that the car is equipped with an AMB transponder and an external radio antenna for racing communications, and has a camera mount attached to the rollbar. It also includes a Brey-Krause seat back brace per PCA rules (and common sense). And I forgot to mention the 73RS-style door panels, with RS america pulls and a leather strap to open the door. No need to fiddle around when you want OUT!

I also have a set of 15x6 Fuchs in "track" condition available as a package for vintage eligibility. The fender lips have been correctly rolled to accomodate 225-series tires (as you can see on the car).
    Last edited by 304065; 03-07-2011 at 12:10 PM.

John,

You should post a link here.

BTW, Are you running mondo spacers with those 944S2(?) wheels?

BLWTS,
    Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    John,

You should post a link here.

BTW, Are you running mondo spacers with those 944S2(?) wheels?

BLWTS,
    Scott
    Scott, those are Boxster 16x7 (ET -40) with 6mm spacers, for a total offset of -34mm, pretty close to the -36mm of the original 15x7 Fuchs.

They are, ahem, not the most, well, ATTRACTIVE wheels. But they sure do put the rubber to the road.

Interesting. Less than I thought on the spacers. I have been trying to figure out wheel offsets lately and your setup piqued my attention.

I thought the 15x7 used an ET23 ? Per : http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/wheelwts.html

Thanks for the info!
    Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay