Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferodo brake pads old school

Ferodo brake pads old school

Hope this is not too off topic? I have a Renault R5 Turbo and as you could imagine parts are a PITA. There are plenty of parts avail in the UK but the shipping is just crazy.

I need brake pads which are only avail in Porterfied R4S $179x2 for full set. OUCH! Ferodo has their new 2500 formula but to get them here from a US distributor will be approx 4 weeks.

There is a site OLDSCHOOLBRAKEPADS.COM That lists older asbestos Ferodo pads in a FDB??? Part sequence? They swear this is a comparable to the above pads if not better due to the asbestos.

They also have early 911 part numbers in the same compound. They are approx $20x2 for full set. Any old school guys out there remember these pads???

Also a heads up for maybe good source of pads for early 911's to make it a bit more on topic??

Any real world use would be helpful.

Thanks

Well, I can say that the Porterfield R4S work great on my 911S.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

When I ran my B Sedan car in the 70s, we used the Ferodo D111 pads, as did most of the other competitors. It was my understanding that when Andy started his Porterfield brake pad business that he took the D111 compound from Ferodo and incorporated into his Porterfield pads. I'm not sure if he bought that compound from Ferodo or their supplier. But these two pads are very similar in nature, if not the same...

I've used the older FDB series with excellent results for many years. The old DS11 race pads was horrible (required a TON of heat to work) and thankfully, those are tough to find.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
    The old DS11 race pads was horrible (required a TON of heat to work) and thankfully, those are tough to find.
    How many times did someone do a 'Straight on at T' following a fuel halt on Seventies Road Rallies in the UK by forgetting to warm up the dam*ed DS11

Get the Ferodo 2500's. Clean, no squeaking around town. Will do fifteen fast laps on any track and wear forever. Cheap too. I don't get paying $200 for a pair of pads when $75 will get you these.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Boy my memory must be getting really bad. I do remember (I think) way back when Andy started his brake pad biz that were all told that it were the same as the D11 pad...I guess so Andy could get everyone to switch...And certainly pad technology has morph'd since those days. I remember having to get the D11s heated up, but I never hit anything...at least for that reason. Hmmm...I probably could have used that one as an excuse for some of my shunts.

Thanks for the responses. Well the Ferodo 2500's wound up being $88 per axle so they are about the same as the Porterfield and add the wait time and I am back at square one.

The only 2 pads available are EBC RED/GREEN and the asbestos old Ferodos. I am in my mid 40's and have been working on cars since I was 15 and can't remember how asbestos in pads effected them positive or negative? I do remember when metallic became all the rage and then all the noise and dust.

The internet is wealth of info but when researching brake pads you get most info from the Subi type forums and the replies seam to make me think these kids are only interested in clean wheels. It really appears to be the biggest compliant with no regard to braking. For the $20 I might try the asbestos deals as at $400 I am about 3/4 away to a Wilwood swap which opens up the pad selection.

If anybody is interested in these for their 911 I will post honest real review. I don't care about dust if that is an issue although I might be calling one of those TV legal firms after inhaling the asbestos.

'Green Stuff' a bit like treading on a dead cat.

I have been using Pagid RS4-2 on early 911 Rally Cars for the last few years and they have been excellent.

They are expensive but work from cold, give an extremely consistent pedal and in cost per competition mile have been very good because they have lasted extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    How many times did someone do a 'Straight on at T' following a fuel halt on Seventies Road Rallies in the UK by forgetting to warm up the dam*ed DS11
    Oh man,..thats a familiar experience and a sure-fire sphincter-tightening feeling.

Thankfully, modern racing brake pads have a come a long way.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com