Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 335d Thoughts...

BMW 335d Thoughts...

Looking for a good daily use car and to not make fuel my largest monthly expense. I am in the diesel industry and find the 335d much better looking than a Jetta TDI.

Input please;

Thank you,
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I always hear good reviews from the mags, and Roundel has tested them on the Nordschleife. They were keeping up with 997s after they got some instruction from a local pro. They say that the fun to drive chassis is still there and that riding the wave of torque is very fun. You do not have to worry about being in the wrong gear on a twisty road, just mash the gas.

The revviness is not there, however, since the redline is low. All the power and torque is down low.

I say go for it. No way a Jetta can compare to a rear-wheel drive sport sedan.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

TDi

I haven't driven the 3er diesel, but, from a dollars-per-mile standpoint . . . I think the massive hit you'll take on depreciation will pretty much cancel-out any fuel savings on the Bimmer. Nobody buys a BMW for the fuel-economy --- let alone a used one. I love the things but, for 90% of the buyers out there . . . BMW is a prestige purchase, not a dollar-saver. Love the car for what it is, but to save money? Dude -- you'll get creamed at re-sale. Absolutely pasted. I mean you'll be bleeding from orafi you didn't know could.

If you're talking upfront, residuals, and operating costs . . . I really like the regular Golf TDi.

Not exactly pretty to look at (but, then again, I think the 3er sedan is an oinker, myself) . . . . but it'll do 40 MPG . . . a rating that I believe is low. A BMW Mechanic I know routinely puts up >50mpg on his longer highway runs. (When he isn't thrashing it --- then it gets 40.) Loves the thing.

I've driven it --- both paddle-shift and 6-speed. Kinda tight inside, but beautiful touch and feel --- close your eyes and say AUDI. Quiet, smooth, too. Sticks like a limpet. And the car's a deal. VW loads their US-version cars up with stuff you can't even get on the regular gas cars . . . then knocks the price down to ~$23k, probably to boost their CAFE numbers. (Are you listening, Porsche?) Your monthly fuel bill will probably still be more than your car payment.

If the out-of-pocket doesn't sell you, then the re-sale might. Try finding/pricing a used TDi-anything . . . no bargains --- and I've looked.

Car is built to last, too, and the smarty-pants diesel motor will probably out-live the sheet metal it drags around. Personally . . . I like the looks. They come in this dark metalic blue-black color . . . . . mmmm.

Only car made today that I'd buy new.

Rick Kreiskott

PS Car is sneaky fast, too. Torquey, torquey, torquey. (That's why the 3er only comes with an auto --- BMW doesn't have a 'box that can handle their diesel's torque --- 425 lb-ft at 1750 RPM!) I don't know about top-speed . . . but that Mechanic buddy claims his little TDi gets 30 MPG at +80 MPH . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-04-2011 at 05:30 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

912->911 conversion
    BMW also requires urea refills every 15,000 miles, the VW doesn't.
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

The Other Side . . .

. . . of performance . . .

http://www.tdiclub.com/

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

There's a thread on the chat site, where people report their monthly fuel economy --- some of those figures . . .

Horsepower's nice, but --- at 4 bucks a gallon! --- what's really more relevant?

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Horsepower's nice, but --- at 4 bucks a gallon! --- what's really more relevant?

Rick Kreiskott
    How cheap.... That's about 5 EURO a gallon here in Belgium... And still we drive these cars.

Regarding the 335D, very good performance. If you'e on the road much and you would like to have a pleasant car, go get one!
    - twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car

"Absolutely pasted. I mean you'll be bleeding from orafi you didn't know could."

T-Shirt worthy, Rick .... priceless ... I laughed and laughed (out loud) ;-)

I would love to see a diesel AWD such as a diesel R32 Golf.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    I would love to see a diesel AWD such as a diesel R32 Golf.
    Too bad the closest is Touareg diesel or BMW X5d
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

I have a 2009 TDI Sportswagon average 33+MPG all around use.

I drive the car hard, regularly running it up to 100 mph (cruise @ 80) on my daily jaunt down the Turnpike. In its own way the performance and handling is stunning. Very rarely does the car not have enough ump to keep up w/higher horsepower rides. The 6 speed auto transmission is a marvel in the sport setting, I love pushing it around the windies. It anticipates downshifts remarkably and makes you want to throw it into turns. More than sufficient interior room for my family of four as well as excellent cargo space with the seats folded down. I purchased with upgraded stereo, s/r, navi, 17" wheels for under $30,000. I looked at the Mercedes and BMW diesels before I purchased but they were both $25,000 more. Money, I felt better spent on my P Cars. I did drive in the 335D it was very powerful; like my TDI you never knew you were in a diesel.

The TDI does lack prestige and I still find myself making love eyes at other modes of daily drivers . I wish they would put the motor in the CC. Based upon my experience I wonder why the diesel motor has not been more embraced here in the US especially considering our affection for SUVs.
    Last edited by Macroni; 03-21-2011 at 08:05 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I have a 2010 VW Golf Tdi Wagon, I think its the same as the Jetta Wagon that you have in the US.

Its very, very practical - loads of room for parts in the back and people. Fuel economy is spot on - I average about 5.5l/100km in mixed driving (51 mpg - Imperial)...its quiet and quite quick and torquey...love the diesel. the interior quality is good too. No additives to worry about and its a low emissions vehicle. No problem starting in cold weather either. It regularly hits -20C here and haven't had to plug it in yet.

I wanted a low emissions diesel but the BMW was out of my price league. Sadly diesels are few and far between in North America. I would have bought a VW T5 to tow with otherwise.

Fuel is now hitting $1.3 CAD per litre here.
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.