Thread: Trunk Carpet Leather Tabs and Rivets

Trunk Carpet Leather Tabs and Rivets

I bought a reproduction Perlon trunk carpet set for my '69 911T. The two leather straps that slip into the blower cover tabs are sewn on. My original set has two rivets remaining but the leather straps have rotted away. Does anyone have a photo of an original carpet showing how the leather strap is riveted. i.e. are the straps riveted finished side down. Which direction are they mounted.

Craig

Craig, where did you get the carpet kit from? Are you happy with it?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I got my 4 piece set from Appbiz.com. It fits nicely and is cut to the same size and shape as my original. Some comments: On my original, there is a slit on the passenger side piece and two slits for the blower cover tabs. The Appbiz set does not have them, but I'm ok with that - I'd rather cut them myself. The large piece doesn't seem quit as thick and stiff as the original. There is a notch cut out on the back edge of the big piece. My old one doesn't have this notch, but I've noticed that other after market carpet makers have this same notched cut out - maybe something on the '70 and later carpets sets. The board stiffener pouch opening is opposite of my original. And last, the leather straps for the blower cover notches are sewn on as opposed to a steel rivet.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1969 View Post
    I got my 4 piece set from Appbiz.com. It fits nicely and is cut to the same size and shape as my original. Some comments: On my original, there is a slit on the passenger side piece and two slits for the blower cover tabs. The Appbiz set does not have them, but I'm ok with that - I'd rather cut them myself. The large piece doesn't seem quit as thick and stiff as the original. There is a notch cut out on the back edge of the big piece. My old one doesn't have this notch, but I've noticed that other after market carpet makers have this same notched cut out - maybe something on the '70 and later carpets sets. The board stiffener pouch opening is opposite of my original. And last, the leather straps for the blower cover notches are sewn on as opposed to a steel rivet.

Craig
    Your observations make it sound like these are not very similar to the originals? Who sells a product "exactly" Sureley someone does. I know about Tony at Autobahn. Others?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Back to the original question. Does anyone have a picture of an original trunk carpet with the leather tab straps intact?

Craig

Trunk Carpet

. . . Does anyone have a picture of an original trunk carpet with the leather tab straps intact?. . . .
    Hey, Craig . . .

Hm. Leather straps on the trunk carpet, huh?

Here's a photo of the underside of the trunk carpet in my car --- a '70 Euro version --- it has snaps . . . but I don't recall seeing any leather straps. (My interior carpet pieces have those, though.)

I'll take a look at the trunk carpet again, take some pictures. I don't know if its the original or not, but, judging by the acid burn-through up by the batteries . . . mine's been there a long time.

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Where your snaps are, I have 1 1/2 inch slits in the carpet. The slits go over tabs on the cardboard blower cover, and the leather straps slip through the blower cover tabs.

Craig

Where your snaps are, I have 1 1/2 inch slits in the carpet. The slits go over tabs on the cardboard blower cover, and the leather straps slip through the blower cover tabs.

Craig
    Sounds like a '69 feature, then. And a lot like what holds my carpet pieces in . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks.

Craig

Craig, yes that is a feature carried over from the SWB (I think) cars to this one year on the LWB cars. The 69 has the slit and leather strap on the carpet and the blower cover has a metal tab that the leather strap goes through just like the front carpet pieces do. The later 70 and on cars snap to accomplish this. Maybe even later 69's went to snaps too - don't know if that was a mid MY change or changed when the 70MY was introduced.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T