Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

Reading Curt's Detroit GP thread got my juices flowing to renew efforts to locate my uncle's (Cliff Hansen) old Formula Atlantic car(s). I have some sketchy information on some and I believe that two of them went to Mexico in the late 70's - I am trying to find out where. I believe that they were the March 78B and March 79B cars. I know it is a long shot, but the internet is an amazing thing and maybe one of our Mexico 911S Registry members might know something about their location.

Anyone in Mexico know of an old 70's Formula Atlantic car sitting in a barn? Probably like finding a needle in a haystack, but you never know. I'll try other boards as well. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Don't know if it will help, but you may want to try contacting Frank Monise Jr.(Frankie). He and his Father, although no Mexican ties (So Cal), were deeply involved in the Sports Racer and Formula Atantic cars of that era. Frankie owned, for quite a long time, the Rahal Atlantic car, as well as others. PM me if you would like the contact info.

Thumbs up

Right gs....forgot all about Frankie
    He used to run an RT-1 back in the day... and kept at it.

Lost contact with him in the late 80's...
    I know his brother went to Gurney's for awhile.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yea Frankie's brother Howard worked for Gurney for years once his motocycle racing days were over. I'll get Frankie's contact info when I get home tonight...

Thanks guys. Hope I can warm the trails... I am also looking for his 75B, 76B, 77B, Ralt RT-3, as well as, the March 822. Might as well try to find them all and see what materializes first.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

More info...
    I believe the RT-1 that Frankie had was the X-Bobby Rahal Formula Atlantic car driven by Rahal before he had reached the Indy ranks.

You can check out his web site with some cool period pics (one with a young McQueen) at: www.frankmonisemotors.com

Lightbulb

Scott,

Try Les Phillips who runs Buttonwillow Racway Park at:
    email: lesrace@aol.com

I hear Les might know where some of the ‘bones are buried‘ ......

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck. I will do just that. I actually posted on the Autosport forum and got a response from two of the authorities on chassis records for all these cars. They have offered to help me unearth the bones if any exist. There is also a set of threads on the ten-tenths forum that tries to record all the forumla car chassis and where they are today. It has been very helpful, but still have not been able to ID any chassis numbers let alone locate cars (of course). In due time... For records sake, here is what I know:

1967 LeGrand Mk V FB - with a long term owner in SoCal (not for sale - yet...)

1974 GRD Formula Atlantic - Doug Mockett had for sale in SoCal in the late 90's. Missed that due to financial constraints. Car went to Sweden and Early S member Thomas Lundeval has helped to try and locate the car.

1975 March 75B - Sold at the end of the season to Mike Downs. Mike resold since the series now required a sealed motor. This did not have one, so not eligible. "12" has just been found so waiting to hear about that. Cliff acquired a Shierson rental chassis mid season in 1975 that was the 12th car on the grid at Edmonton. It is thought that March only made 12 FA cars for the Canadian series that got exported to North America. Could this be the car? NO, CLIFF'S CHASSIS IS NOT #12. A CHICAGO DR. SYD DEMOVSKY (or something like that) WAS RENTING THAT RIDE FROM SHIERSON, I BELIEVE.

1976 March 76B - Supposedly chassis #01, but that has been proven to be Ian Scheckter's car. I am being told that this is actually chassis #02 and was with Tom Contino (79-80), Damon Meek (82-83), Lee Follensbee (83-84), and Mike Olsen (85). After that, the trail runs cold.

1977 March 77B - Remaining car sold to John Bauer of SLO, CA in 1978. Other chassis written off at Trois Riviers.

1978 March 78B - Chassis #04 sold to Frank Brimante (thought to have gone to Mexico). NOW LOCATED. Chassis #17 sold to Ted Titmus.

1979 March 79B - Sold to Rick Schea (sp?) who ran the car for Tom Gloy. Supposedly the car went to Mexico.

1981 Ralt Rt-3 - Ran F3 season. Not sure about chassis numbers.

1982 March 822 - Ran F2 season in chassis #11. Car eventually went to Japan and was converted to GC spec and run in 1983 by Kazuyoshi Hoshino as an MCS IV (whatever the heck that is). Thought to be sent to the landfill as are all old race cars in Japan.

That is what I know at this point. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 12-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Lightbulb

Scott,

Just remembered.........

You've probably already been here, but Marc Bahner his been THE formula chassis/tub guy forever......

http://www.bahnerengineering.com/index.html

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck - will follow up on all leads. Do you think you can change the title of this thread and remove Mexico please?

I spoke at length with Cliff yesterday and he maintains unequivocably that chassis 76B-1 was his car and not Scheckter's car. Interesting... That may stir the doo doo a bit with the chassis experts. Not sure who is correct at this point - I am sure we will find out.

I AM VERY CONVINCED THAT HE WAS MISTAKEN ABOUT OWNING 76B-1 WHEN IN ACTUALITY IT WAS 76B-2.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 12-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T