Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

Reading Curt's Detroit GP thread got my juices flowing to renew efforts to locate my uncle's (Cliff Hansen) old Formula Atlantic car(s). I have some sketchy information on some and I believe that two of them went to Mexico in the late 70's - I am trying to find out where. I believe that they were the March 78B and March 79B cars. I know it is a long shot, but the internet is an amazing thing and maybe one of our Mexico 911S Registry members might know something about their location.

Anyone in Mexico know of an old 70's Formula Atlantic car sitting in a barn? Probably like finding a needle in a haystack, but you never know. I'll try other boards as well. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Don't know if it will help, but you may want to try contacting Frank Monise Jr.(Frankie). He and his Father, although no Mexican ties (So Cal), were deeply involved in the Sports Racer and Formula Atantic cars of that era. Frankie owned, for quite a long time, the Rahal Atlantic car, as well as others. PM me if you would like the contact info.

Thumbs up

Right gs....forgot all about Frankie
    He used to run an RT-1 back in the day... and kept at it.

Lost contact with him in the late 80's...
    I know his brother went to Gurney's for awhile.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yea Frankie's brother Howard worked for Gurney for years once his motocycle racing days were over. I'll get Frankie's contact info when I get home tonight...

Thanks guys. Hope I can warm the trails... I am also looking for his 75B, 76B, 77B, Ralt RT-3, as well as, the March 822. Might as well try to find them all and see what materializes first.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

More info...
    I believe the RT-1 that Frankie had was the X-Bobby Rahal Formula Atlantic car driven by Rahal before he had reached the Indy ranks.

You can check out his web site with some cool period pics (one with a young McQueen) at: www.frankmonisemotors.com

Lightbulb

Scott,

Try Les Phillips who runs Buttonwillow Racway Park at:
    email: lesrace@aol.com

I hear Les might know where some of the ‘bones are buried‘ ......

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Scott, I am Stu Hansen in Santa Ynes Ca. and have a deposit on a March 78B that ran the Atlantic series and was in Mexico and brought back here. I have started restoration and think it is most likely your uncles car. Did it run with a sponsor? I do not have a log book on it but do have chassis #'s so get with me as I would like to talk more. Happy New Year, Stu Hanssen 805-688-4773

March 78B

Hi Scott, are you looking to find car and race it? call me Stu Hanssen, 805-688-4773

Here is a documentary video of the 1975 Formula Atlantic Players Challenge. It is actually pretty good and one of the rare video pieces on Formula Atlantic (even though they were televised in Canada back then). As I stated in post #27, Cliff's first ride was at St. Jovite and the car was yellow gelcoat with a large font #9. You might catch a quick glimpse or two of the car. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/13903876

On a slightly disappointing note, the chassis #12 that I listed above is NOT Cliff's 75B. Rumor has it that it has ownership documentation back close to Cliff. The chassis historian I am working with says that this chassis has known history back to within 18 months of being new. Ownership trail does not lead back to Cliff. Plus, and even more exciting, is that we now have a bill of sale from Cliff to M. Downs that shows a different chassis number. Let's just say that this discovery is, aahhh, shall we say interesting... Might cause some waves and I will share once we have this whole mess sorted out - hopefully.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T