Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

Thanks Chuck. Sure did, sent him an email today. I'll follow up with a phone call in the next day or two. Also hit up Jennings Racing to see if they know anything.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Guess, I'll update this thread with the latest. I found the 75B - it was being restored by Frankie Monise in SoCal. Car was in storage in the Denver area iirc for 20 years prior to restoration. Car is currently for sale for a number waaaay higher than market. He knows I am "out there" looking...

I made contact with another person connected to the Can Am market who is based in St. Louis. He did not know much about the 76B, but heard about a guy that ran a C/D Sports Racer one time and thought he might have blown the engine or had engine trouble. He heard he might have been in the Air Force? That sounds like the car - gotta do some more digging.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Figured I would bump this to the top. The 75B is finished and was for sale (for a way too high number IMO) last year. He still has it. I may try to see if I can connect with the owner on my overnight in LA Friday. And the 76B has been found - in St. Louis as I suspected. After all the phone calls and emails to numerous people down there, a guy calls my uncle out of the blue not too long ago. Says his friend is ill and he is helping settle the estate. He found magazine articles in all the March bits mentioning Cliff and the car. Decides to call Cliff to see if he wants it. He takes a chance and buys it. I am going to see it Friday. Dammit! Well, maybe it is a good thing I was not first to find it - there is only one wheel, the motor is trash, lots of mice bits in the parts bins. Some of the original bodywork is with it though. Be careful what you wish for.

The search continues for the 77B... I did make a little progress. Cliff sold it to John Bauer who was primarily a 911 driver in Trans-am, but raced it twice at the LBGP in 78 and 79. I believe that he sold it to Juan Carlos Bolanos of Mexico City. He only owned it a year maybe. Juan was heavily into 911 RSR racing in the day. Locating him will be a huge challenge I think.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott,

I have a good car buddy in Mexico City... He's a racer and collector.... I'll ask him about the guy

Cheers,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hey thanks Chuck. Appreciate the help. Two other possible leads in SoCal are Danny Thompson and Steve Murray. Do you or any of your SoCal friends know these guys. I think they were racers embedded in the scene in the very late 70s and into the 80s.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Lightbulb

Scott,

I do not know the two names you mentioned... I'll ask my old SCCA friends

The good news is my friend in Mexico got back to me with some info on Bolanos ...
    I will try to hook you up with him...

My email is:
    cmiller14@socal.rr.com
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

1972 March-Cosworth 722 Formula 2 Race Car

Scott...Is this close enough?...It's very Cool in any case.../ Lars...

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-march-722-8/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Oooo, that is one tasty F2 car Lars. Scratches the itch, but the goal was to find Cliff's old cars. He is actually very well connected in the SoCal area to ex-racers and even some current prep shops. While visiting him looking at the 76B he acquired, I see a bunch of old F1 posters on his walls. He tells me that a very well known German female photographer gave them to him. She was heavily involved in F1 photography, as well as, other motorsports and attended most of the F1 events from the late 60's through the late 80's. She knew and was friends with most of the drivers of the time. Pretty cool. So yesterday he sends me some links that show photos she took of his 1982 F2 races and a really nice article on her done recently. She was really connected in the motorsports world.

Here is a link to some of her photos. Really cool to peruse and see her work, especially of the people and drivers. If you click on the F2 gallery and go to 1982, you can see my uncle's car the #30 Hyster sponsored March 822.

https://www.fauselphoto.com/archive

Autoweek article on her life in motorsports.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...racing-photos/
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Her photo links and history link is outrageously cool !!!!

Thank you Scott !!!
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Figured I would bump this to the top. The 75B is finished and was for sale (for a way too high number IMO) last year. He still has it. I may try to see if I can connect with the owner on my overnight in LA Friday. And the 76B has been found - in St. Louis as I suspected. After all the phone calls and emails to numerous people down there, a guy calls my uncle out of the blue not too long ago. Says his friend is ill and he is helping settle the estate. He found magazine articles in all the March bits mentioning Cliff and the car. Decides to call Cliff to see if he wants it. He takes a chance and buys it. I am going to see it Friday. Dammit! Well, maybe it is a good thing I was not first to find it - there is only one wheel, the motor is trash, lots of mice bits in the parts bins. Some of the original bodywork is with it though. Be careful what you wish for.

The search continues for the 77B... I did make a little progress. Cliff sold it to John Bauer who was primarily a 911 driver in Trans-am, but raced it twice at the LBGP in 78 and 79. I believe that he sold it to Juan Carlos Bolanos of Mexico City. He only owned it a year maybe. Juan was heavily into 911 RSR racing in the day. Locating him will be a huge challenge I think.
    If you are still looking for Juan Carlos (huevo) he is on FB
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs