Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

OK, I made contact with all three guys that you recommended and Marc Bahner may have actually provided a good lead on one of the Marches. The names he mentioned who he believes still own the car are in my notes from years ago. Could be promising...

LeGrand Mk 5
    March 76B
    March 77B
    77B with Gilles Villenueve following
    March 78B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Not FA, but of interest and proving that the old cars are out there, somewhere.

Six Lola F5000 Tubs Discovered in Michigan

Wow, great story...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Update: (if you are even interested...). I spoke to the folks that I mentioned earlier and the car they have is NOT Cliff's car. But....

Cliff calls me last night and tells me that he has located his 75B!! S. Jennings (long time BDA, BDD, ect builder) calls Cliff and tells him that a fellow owns a 75B that he thinks Cliff might have raced. Turns out that he has been researching the history of the car and has tracked it down to when Cliff sold it to Mike Downs at the end of the 75 season. As I understand it, the car is currently raced and I am waiting on the owner's contact information. Unfortunately, the car is not for sale now, but I will put myself on the waiting list for when he is ready to sell.

Another interesting note... My phone rings a couple of weeks ago and not recognizing the number I answered it thinking it is a business call. Well, the person on the other line says, "Hi Scott, Bobby Rahal here..." Now how cool is that? I about fell out of my chair. He got wind of my search and offered his help a few months ago. I contacted a mutual acquaintance and gave that person my contact information, not really thinking that it would pan out. Maybe an email, but certainly not a phone call. We chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes and talked about racing with Cliff. He also gave me a few new contact names who are knowledgeable in the Formula Atlantic world today. They might be able to help and I will follow up on those in due time.

Exciting stuff... Here is another photo that I was sent. Taken at the start of the '76 Runoffs at Road Atlanta. Cliff is 3rd car back on the inside - light blue 27.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Thumbs up

Very cool Scott……..

When I was helping my friend Hector for his 1976 F/Ford year he ended up renting a couple of local rides from Pierre Phillips Racing who would come down from Organ to SoCal a couple of time a year.. In conversation Pierre told Hector that there’s an accountant looking kid named Rahal that’s been running his prepped Fords and now Atlantics backed by Jim Trueman …… Old wise Pierre said “keep an eye on this young guy, he’s got the stuff to make it BIG…”

….. and so it goes......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Not FA, but another interesting find. F5000/Can Am Lola that looks as though the owner was letting the kids use for off roading in the backyard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...552+&viewitem=
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Not FA, but another interesting find. F5000/Can Am Lola that looks as though the owner was letting the kids use for off roading in the backyard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...552+&viewitem=
    Same story, but through bringatrailer.com

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/05/06/...974-lola-t332/
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Yeah, that BR Lola is a fantastic find! I am looking forward to seeing that on the vintage circuit in the coming years.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott, I think your search may have stirred up a hornets nest. They all seem to be coming out of the barn, and this one has a Chicago connection:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/05/11/...vron-b29-faf2/
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 05-12-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Yeah, isn't that interesting Jim. Coincidental I am sure.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T