Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For Formula Atlantic Cars

I didn't go thru all 48 pages, but there are several shots of Cliff in here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...in/photostream

At Trois Rivieres 1975:

cliff hansen FA.jpg

Thanks Curt. Yes, that is in his ever elusive 75B and that is his brother Jim with him. Marc actually sent me that link. That is probably my favorite photo since it is the only one I have seen of the 75B and shows the human element to racing. A little update that I was hesitant to share, but I will anyway. S. Jennings contacts Cliff and tells him that the owner of his former 75B (this car) would like to make contact with him. He has traced the ownership history of the car back to when Cliff sold it to M. Downs and he wants to verify this with Cliff. Cliff called him and he feels confident that it is the car. It has been restored and vintage raced very successfully up until a few years ago when it was parked.

THIS HAS NOW BEEN DETERMINED NOT TO BE CLIFF'S 75B.

On the downside, I corresponded with C. Townshend (chassis # expert) and he says that this well known car is not ex-Hansen. We are still cross checking records to determine if it is or not. Will post pics if and when we confirm. The search continues...
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Just for reference Scott.......
    http://bringatrailer.com/2011/05/11/...vron-b29-faf2/

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    This '75 B29 seems to be back for sale on evilBay now, having moved across the country to MA: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...item3a6a0f6042

Graphics are removed, but nothing more seems to have been done to freshen it up.
    TT
    Last edited by ttweed; 09-12-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Update...

Well, good news. It looks like we have located my uncle's 1975 March 75B. According to what I know, we have tracked it to the fellow that my uncle sold it to in the spring of 1976. All the stars seem to be aligned that this is, in fact, Cliff's car, but we are still working on verification to prove it as close to 100% as possible. The car is restored and was being very successfully vintage raced up until a couple of years ago. Now to put my name on the "when you are ready to sell" list. Here is a photo. It resides in SoCal, so maybe I will check it out after RRIV.

ORIGINALLY THOUGHT TO BE CORRECT, THIS HAS NOW BEEN DETERMINED NOT TO BE CLIFF'S CAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

FYI march did write the sn on the side fuel bladders if the march sn plate has been removed from the dash

Thanks for the information Curt. This is chassis #12 the last Formula Atlantic car build for the 1975 season. It was delivered to Doug Shierson Racing several races into the 1975 season at St. Jovite. That was not Cliff's car.

Ian Grob was slated to drive a Shierson car at St. Jovite, but failed to find sponsorship for the race. That is what got Cliff the ride in that car. He was currently running a 1974 GRD that was just not competitive and Doug Shierson offered Cliff to rent that car for St. Jovite. He did that and ended up buying the car and ran it for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Hi Scott, I am Stu Hansen in Santa Ynes Ca. and have a deposit on a March 78B that ran the Atlantic series and was in Mexico and brought back here. I have started restoration and think it is most likely your uncles car. Did it run with a sponsor? I do not have a log book on it but do have chassis #'s so get with me as I would like to talk more. Happy New Year, Stu Hanssen 805-688-4773

March 78B

Hi Scott, are you looking to find car and race it? call me Stu Hanssen, 805-688-4773

Here is a documentary video of the 1975 Formula Atlantic Players Challenge. It is actually pretty good and one of the rare video pieces on Formula Atlantic (even though they were televised in Canada back then). As I stated in post #27, Cliff's first ride was at St. Jovite and the car was yellow gelcoat with a large font #9. You might catch a quick glimpse or two of the car. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/13903876

On a slightly disappointing note, the chassis #12 that I listed above is NOT Cliff's 75B. Rumor has it that it has ownership documentation back close to Cliff. The chassis historian I am working with says that this chassis has known history back to within 18 months of being new. Ownership trail does not lead back to Cliff. Plus, and even more exciting, is that we now have a bill of sale from Cliff to M. Downs that shows a different chassis number. Let's just say that this discovery is, aahhh, shall we say interesting... Might cause some waves and I will share once we have this whole mess sorted out - hopefully.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 02-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T