Thread: Prototype question LWB?

Prototype question LWB?

Hi,
    I have spotted a chassis #13499, which is per my understanding a prototype car, but not one of the know 1963/64 prototyps. It looks like to be a LWB chassis. Does anybody have some information about this car?
    Thanks,
    Mark

I've never seen any information about that number, don't
    suppose you got any pictures?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

That high a serial # means a replacement body; the whole 13xxx series was, technically, a series for replacement bodies. However, I thought they did things differently for the LWB. So we need documentation; lots of it.
    In 1969 with the LWB introduction there was a new series of prototypes, and not in the 13xxx series. Also they went with a chassis # instead of a VIN on the lower dash frame. The production bodies start with 1, and the replacement chassis start with 0. So any replacement LWB I would expect to see with an 0 series chassis number. If this is not the case, then this car would be most interesting.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I have seen the car, but did not make any fotos. This car has never been sold and it has been used for some kind of testings by the factory. The interesting thing - the complete floor pan is full of small holes. They are approx 0,5 cm in a distance of 10 to 15 cm.

Can you follow up on this car please. We really need to establish if it is a LWB or not. It should not be, but who knows. Get a photo of the paint badge as well; the paint code, if it exists, will help date the body. What do you mean by saying the car has never been sold; does it still belong to the factory?

I heard car being called prototypes and also factory test cars. Is there are difference?
    Brendan

Not really. Cars may be assembled out of prototype parts, and tested on new assembly fixtures, then assigned for road testing.

Quote Originally Posted by IAA1963 View Post
    I have seen the car, but did not make any fotos. This car has never been sold and it has been used for some kind of testings by the factory. The interesting thing - the complete floor pan is full of small holes. They are approx 0,5 cm in a distance of 10 to 15 cm.

I don't understand , what do you mean that it "has never been sold".....the factory owns it still ?

Or it is the first private owner ? Or the first private owner worked for the factory ?

Olde Threade Alerte! . . .

. . . I have spotted a chassis #13499, which is per my understanding a prototype car, but not one of the know 1963/64 prototyps. It looks like to be a LWB chassis. Does anybody have some information about this car? . . .
    . . . I have seen the car, but did not make any fotos. This car has never been sold and it has been used for some kind of testings by the factory. The interesting thing - the complete floor pan is full of small holes. They are approx 0,5 cm in a distance of 10 to 15 cm . . .

Ay-yay-yaaaay!

Any follow-up on this car? . . .

. . . 'cause it sure sounds like it could use some!

We Can Be Heroes