Thread: Shipping parts to Germany via fedex

Shipping parts to Germany via fedex

Hi Guys...

I'm going to Essen, and I just received a box of items in that I think I would like to take with me to the show as potential sales items... rather than just taking samples of each item.

Rather than taking them with me and risking customs, I had thought to direct ship them via Fedex to a friend, pricing is not as steep as I thought and having a few items at the show might be good.

Does anyone know issues related to Fedex shipment and customs? I would plan to label correctly with country of manufacture (shipping usa items only), a complete description, low value per item, etc on the enclosed packing list in the box.

IF I ship these tomorrow (Thursday) I know they can be in Germany on Monday, but my concern is the customs issue as the show opens Wednesday and a delay would mean I wouldn't have my stock on hand for the show. I still plan on taking all the sample items (labeled as such) in my carry on bag.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

thanks,
    Eric

I know that with Fedex to The Netherlands I always have to pay import duties and I mean ALWAYS...
    With other shipping companies it depends...
    Have fun in Essen! Will you be there the whole event? I'm planning on going Friday April 1st (no joke )
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

eric, everything that come from outside europe must pay an import tax + vat.
    e.g. in italy is 10% + 20%.

be careful....

i'll be in Essen too...
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

You might initially think that you've got away without paying any import taxes but (certainly here in the UK) Fedex usually send their invoice a couple of weeks after the package has been delivered (& it includes their fee for collecting the taxes)...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Yep, they also do it in The Netherlands. Package arrives without any invoice and a few weeks later the invoice is send and their fees are quite high.
    I prefer different shippers...
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Semjon View Post
    Yep, they also do it in The Netherlands. Package arrives without any invoice and a few weeks later the invoice is send and their fees are quite high.
    I prefer different shippers...
    Guys thanks for your answers, but , I wasn't trying to avoid customs or the taxes, was trying to avoid a headache if I carry on the items and customs at the airport. I though maybe air shipping would be easier than claiming a box of items at the airport.

Problem actually solved,... There's an english language page for German customs and they have answered my questions.

Note that here in the US we also receive invoices for taxes due on shipments after the package arrives.

I will be bringing a few things with me to Essen based on my contact with German customs.
    Last edited by Soterik; 03-25-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Eric -
    PM sent
    Early S Registry # 1687

I shiped my stuff with a car ( 67 911 ) to EU via container. 24 days later it cleared customs and duties. It could be brought to Essen on a trailer, but decided this year just visit show and learn. Next year different story.

I'll be in Essen on March 31 to Apr.2nd.

Where is X Spot to meet you all?

Gytis
    1967 911 matching numbers car ( sold )
    1968 911T/R #0805 (SONDERWUNCH AUSSERH DER M.LISTE NR184****) SOLD
    1969 911E MFI matching ALL numbers SOLD
    1981 911 Target 4K ( SHIFT trip-Nürburgring-SPA and SOLD )
    1986 930 "Carnivore" ( "while I'm there" mode )

I´ll be there too, on March 31st to Apr 2nd.