Thread: Used 911 Story

Used 911 Story

I'm really enjoying this forum and learning a lot. I'm a little confused though. I've had the used 911 story book for years and always thought of it as the gospel when it comes to air cooled 911's. Zimmerman seems to think the 72's and early 73's are not very desirable, but the market doesn't seem to reflect this. I am finally in a position to afford an early 911 and want to get the best year (if there is such a thing). Any thoughts on his comments, and any help picking out a year would be very helpful.

I am far from an expert, but I have had both...a 72 T and a 68 SWB. The SWB is by far a funner (is that a word?) car to drive for me, but a little rough on the road. MY 72 was a little bit of a Toad, but went down the Highway at a mucher smoother and more comfortable pace.

From Webster's:

fun (adj)

sometimes fun·ner; sometimes fun·nest

Definition of FUN

1: providing entertainment, amusement, or enjoyment <a fun party> <a fun person to be with>

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

old softie67S
    72 and 73 911's are anything but undesirable. Some may prefer other years and there have been many a thread with board members expressing their prefrences and the reasons why. Try to drive several years and models before you leap. Good luck on your search.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Best of luck in your search. The "best" year is really up to personal preference. Look at the options and build (vented rotors, MFI vs carbs, 901 vs 915 etc.) available for the years you are interested in and combine that with the design aesthetic you like (how much chrome etc). I used to own a hot rodded SWB and currently drive a '73. Both amazingly FUN cars and more enjoyable than anything post-'73 for me.
    IMHO, you can't really go wrong with any year. Some are more exciting to drive than others, but it's all relative. Any longhood will keep you smiling for as long as you have it.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Best for what? Collectability? Value? Fun to drive? The general consensus is that 2.2 S gets rave reviews for high reving torquey fun. I enjoy a 2.7 RS spec motor in place of the 2.4 S original motor. Many have hot rodded cars with much larger motors than original - which brings me back to the original question, what is your goal? I agree with Tom and Kent - get the car which squeeks your sneakers unless you are purely purchasing for collectability/resale. (I never agree with Randy - because I don't want to insult him
    Last edited by RickS; 03-24-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Zimmerman's criticism of the '72s and early '73s revolves mostly around the internally placed input shaft transmission seal on the very early 915s built before March of '73. This seal can leak if improperly fit (or if the shaft is bent) and is only replaceable after dismantling the transmission. It's pretty much of a non-issue nowadays with transmissions that have been rebuilt. The 1972 and 1973 models are universally considered two of the very best years for the early 911.
    Last edited by a911s; 03-25-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I kind off like them a little.
    72S, 72T now ST