Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is this recaro slider 'correct' for early buckets?

is this recaro slider 'correct' for early buckets?

is this recaro slider the correct one for the early recaro buckets used in SWB cars? it looks right to me but I've never seen one in person. any input much appreciated. Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Don, Yes, that's it. Note that you do need to have the seats that have the "relief" in the bottom to accomodate the slider actuator mechanism.

That looks like a picture from Edmund Harris's site?

E

From my research those look correct to me. As reported before, both my Recaro sport buckets (circa 1970-71) have the "relief" Eric mentions on the right side (when you are seated) of the seat bottom, and I'm told that all the seats are "right handed"

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

thanks for the input guys. the pics are from my kitchen table. both seats have the indent on the right side to accomodate the slider mechanism. one of the seats is a bit 'wonky' in the area of the indent. looks like it was funny in the mould. I have only the tops of the sliders for the other seat. I'd like to come up with something for the lowers but it doesn't look easy.

Eric, I'm thinking this looks like a good time to try fabbing the aluminum tilt brackets I've been planning.

revision. after looking thru my collection of recaro pics, I found a couple of pics of RSR seats that show the same funny indent. in looking at my pair, there are other smaller moulding details that are different between the two. now I'm thinking these two seats were made from two different moulds. the pics below ( not my seat) show the same details as my 'wonky' one.
    Last edited by haycait911; 03-25-2011 at 12:59 PM.

This is great timing as I have been trying to figure out a few things about those particular sliders. With Haycait's great pics of the un-mounted sliders and mounted sliders to seat bottoms...seems like a good time to better comprehend something that I'm embarrassed to admit I don't understand...how do they mount to the car?

I'm assuming a few things here, as someone who has mounted a '68 sport seat with factory forward tilting brackets, that if you are going to utilize the above style sliders they are for bucket/fixed seats on a non-forward tilting bracket. For safety reasons or whatever reasons, a bucket seat should NOT be used with a forward tilting bracket - correct?

My confusion - what goes in between the sliders and the car if not a forward tilting bracket? Is it just some square fixed frame with the piping?

Haycait - sorry if I am hijacking your thread. I figure this could be an all inclusive resource for putting it all together.
    Last edited by bob tilton; 03-25-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I've only ever seen the above sliders mounted to recaro brackets, both tilting and fixed. as in the pic below. the base of this passenger side tilt bracket is incorrect but it gives you the idea. why is a bucket on a tilting bracket unsafe? all these tilt brackets are unsafe to a certain degree but I'd rather have a bucket pushing me against the seatbelt in a crash, rather than a 70 lb sport seat.

ps. no hijack - it's all toward furthering the collective knowledge.
    Last edited by haycait911; 03-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.

I don't know that it is "more safe" to have a driver bucket on fixed mounting bracket with just fore/aft adjustment only instead of a forward tilting bracket. That is my misunderstanding. Were the driver bucket seats mounted on fixed brackets only? Or were they mounted to the standard forward tilting brackets utilizing your above pictured "U rails"? If they did NOT use forward tilting bracket then what the heck does that bracket look like? It's got to be a square frame piece that allows the the seat to slightly drop into its "recessed bay" with the threaded tubing to mount the rails - right? I want to see that part...if it exists.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Quick iPhone shot of my passenger '68 factory forward tilting bracket - the bracket I am thinking about would essentially look like the factory part without the hinges and tilting lock. Forgive the condition - it's currently getting media blasted and re-finished to mate to my passenger sport seat. Also for further reference this is a '68 passenger style tilting bracket due to the locking tilt rear lever which the '67 brackets did not have. The tilt release levers are indeed side specific vs the non-specific sided fore/aft adjuster on the sport seats. And for even further reference the correct finish when completed will be low gloss black.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Here is an R seat on a stationary bracket - this bracket was available as optional equipment for 67 Rally Kit cars and I think it is listed on the 66 option list in the area dealing with the early Recaro (elephant foot) fixed back bucket and Ferrari seat that were available for the early cars.

Besides the factory's tilting and stationary brackets, Haycait911's sliders could also be mounted on the factory's very simple lightweight "X" bars as used on the ST, lightweight RS etc.

Second image shows examples of the "X" bars - pretty easy to fabricate...
    Last edited by Flunder; 03-25-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165