Thread: Targa Bar Fitting...need a picture.

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Targa Bar Fitting...need a picture.

In the process of putting together a targa cover and need a close shot of the area I have circled in the picture below. If you have a targa and can share a close up shot of the bottom corner where the chrome qrtr molding meets the targa bar I would be greatful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

I'll fix you up tomorrow.

Rob
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

Rob, thanks.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Detail from unmolested original car. The stainless cover fits inside the trim. Sorry don't have a good shot of that. Thanks.

-Allen-

Thanks Allen. Rob emailed me an exterior picture of an unmolested rear window area. When one changes the rear window targa seal, targa bar cover rear seal and quarter trim moldings, it takes some customizing to get all the exterior moldings, gaskets and targa bar to fit like the factory had them due to the variation of thickness on new items. I think we have it all button down now. Thanks
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Targa Bar Fitting...need a picture. Your Message

Freddie, if its any help here's one I took today, customer car we recently finished, waiting for pick-up.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Great, thanks Ed. Here is a picture of what I believe to be the correct set-up. The orange chrome trim should fit snug up against the targa cover. The chrome trim piece edge is cut at an angle to fit the targa cover angle (marked in purple). The targa bar seal marked in red, sits behind the chrome trim piece. In order for the chrome trim piece to slide up against the targa bar, the backside edge of the seal marked in red must be cut at an angle making the chrome piece slide over the seal and not look like it's bulging out or worse yet, bent. Because it's such a tight area and so much variation in thicknesses, it's a challenge to have everything just perfect. The window seal edge marked in green, is also cut at an angle to match that of the targa bar cover. I have had to slice some thickness off the targa window seal in order for the targa bar cover to slide behind the quarter trim chrome. When the factory was slapping these rear targa windows on at the assembly line, they had down to a science and they call came out perfect...some day mine will be the same.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

I've only dabbled in fitting the seals and top. I had a '70 Targa in Fla in the Navy around 1975. Leaked like crazy. Bought EXPENSIVE new seals, just putting them in was difficult. Still leaked some and the Targa top set high. I'm told, for example, that BIG Ron at Jerry Woods is a master of "tuning" the seals. Like you've found on just fitting the Targa loop, there is much MORE than mets the eye to these hand-built cars!

Toward the end of LWB cars, Targas were VERY popular. Rust prone due to leaks, they are not easy to restore..right!

-Allne-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 03-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FHernand View Post
    Great, thanks Ed. Here is a picture of what I believe to be the correct set-up. The orange chrome trim should fit snug up against the targa cover. The chrome trim piece edge is cut at an angle to fit the targa cover angle (marked in purple). The targa bar seal marked in red, sits behind the chrome trim piece. In order for the chrome trim piece to slide up against the targa bar, the backside edge of the seal marked in red must be cut at an angle making the chrome piece slide over the seal and not look like it's bulging out or worse yet, bent. Because it's such a tight area and so much variation in thicknesses, it's a challenge to have everything just perfect. The window seal edge marked in green, is also cut at an angle to match that of the targa bar cover. I have had to slice some thickness off the targa window seal in order for the targa bar cover to slide behind the quarter trim chrome. When the factory was slapping these rear targa windows on at the assembly line, they had down to a science and they call came out perfect...some day mine will be the same.
    We had a bit of debate on this fit and ended up with what we thought was a good fit based on what looked to be original marks on the aluminum end piece of the trim. At the time we couldn't find any dependable, close up, known original pictures of this area. At any rate I like your solution also. But we're NOT going to do it over!!! LOL
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm with you Ed..but let's keep perfecting the process...
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304