Thread: Rocker Deco Strip - Original vs Repop?

Rocker Deco Strip - Original vs Repop?

Stoddard lists both a reproduction ($76.50/EACH) and an 'original' ($149.22/EACH) wide deco strip for the 69-73. Is there a big enough difference to justify the cost increase? Thanks.

Repop:
    Name:  deco repop.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  15.5 KB

Original:
    Name:  deco orig.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  13.2 KB

They list the original but do they actually have it in stock?
    They list the original SWB taillight but are long gone
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Good point. I will call tomorrow. They also list separate rubber inserts for the original and repop that appear to indicate the inserts are not interchangeable.

I need to order a set, I'm also interesting to know the differences !
    Thanks
    JD

I've used the repro (I don't think OEM is available any more or I would have used it) and in my opinion that part is acceptable. The two pieces I didn't like was the rubber profile under the deco piece, the profile was too wide and more showed past the edge than should have. The second part I didn't like are the end caps for that deco and also for the rear bumper leading edge. They just don't fit as well as the originals. I am saving all the old end caps I can gather up. I will eventually have them re-anodized and replace the repros.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Edmayo--Yes the aftermarket end caps do not fit at all so I just used my originals. On the rubber under the strip--You can put them on the right way with a tiny edge showing or you can put them on upside down and get too much rubber showing. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I don't think I had them on wrong,,,,,the difference wasn't drastic, just a slight bit more than the originals, the kind of thing no one else would notice unless they'd had the same issue. I may try a 356 profile next time, seemed to me they were the correct width.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

i just bought the originals and the reproduction.the surface shines a little bit more on the porsche trim.all the rest is exactly the same.
    the end caps are better from Porsche they fit more exactly. Same thing with the bumper endcaps

Quote Originally Posted by CA lover View Post
    i just bought the originals and the reproduction.the surface shines a little bit more on the porsche trim.all the rest is exactly the same.
    the end caps are better from Porsche they fit more exactly. Same thing with the bumper endcaps
    exactly
    porsche ones are a bit more shiny..and the over all appearance is better..extrusion marks are less and counterbore was done better
    hole pattern on the ones i got from porsche was slightly different compared to the repops.repop holes did not match the cars holes at all.
    the jack support area had to be ground on both versions but that has been factory done on many original cars i have seen.

the repop endcaps are crap
    i share edmayos view on the rubber profile.

For rubber items, check with Terry at Int'l Mercantile, he makes his own stuff and the quality/fitment is normally very good