Thread: This Caliper is VERY Rare... ALU....

This Caliper is VERY Rare... ALU....

This is a gift for Neunelfer...

As i promised, here you are the rarest ( i think) caliper for early racing 911:

REAR Short Stroke ST ALUMINIUM CALIPER (used togheter with FRONT 908 ALU Caliper)
    They told me that were used also as FRONT caliper in some 911R.

i LOVE all this racing stuff!
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

compared to a standard S caliper, it is quite different
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

For the laymen like me, what is the difference? Is the bolt spacing 3 inches? Are the pistons 38mm diameter instead of 48mm? I would love to have a pair of these on the rear of my car.

Eric? You thinking of another replica?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

We will have to wait for Andrea to measure up everything to know the mount spacing, piston size & pad size. However, you can compare my photo with Andrea's similar photo and see the casting is significantly different. So I suspect that Eric will not be able to make another replica out of a stock S caliper. There were features on my 908 caliper that Eric was not able to duplicate also.

Eric? You thinking of another replica?
    I have something in the works... just laid out the money for the castings "today" ironically.

That's a VERY cool caliper. That would need to be a new casting. I'm up for it if someone wants to loan me a caliper. Dave can vouch for the fact that he got his back in the same condition.

You can tell from the fluid inlet cover that the spacing on the mounting ears appears to be 3" so... this is the caliper I've only heard about until now.

There were features on my 908 caliper that Eric was not able to duplicate also.
    Yes, and it's something I'm not seeing on this caliper either. Both the bleeder and the compensating lines on the original Versuch caliper come in "straight" whereas on this caliper and the S-Caliper Dave shows, they come in at an angle.

Odd that the circles are cast into the top... I'm not sure what to say about that. They appear in an odd place as well, almost as if they used the 908/S-Caliper casting and cut off the ends. That would place it around late 70, early 71? Maybe??

So, do tell (if you can), do you have pad cavity dimensions? Mounting ear distance? Piston diameter? Any markings on the top that we can't read? Looking for "V" for another Versuch caliper or possibly V70 or V69.

Thank you very much for the gift.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer View Post
    That would need to be a new casting. I'm up for it if someone wants to loan me a caliper. Dave can vouch for the fact that he got his back in the same condition.
    You bet! Eric is a great pleasure to work with. Here is an older photo that I'm resurrecting; I'll have to remember where it came from. Note that the "S" calipers sure look like the rear Andrea has posted, and appear to be smaller than the 908 calipers next to it.

Why the holes in the top? The S calipers on the right- are they fronts or rears? I still am having a hard time telling them apart from a normal S caliper. I have the batwing style, not the bullnose.

As soon As i'll receive the calipers, i'll post all the info needed.

I'm very happy to found them. So expensive, but So exciting....!

The caliper is smaller and lighter than 908 one's ( in that photo session i had in my hand both original 908 and R caliper) and the bolt spacing was different.

Eric, i'll send you a PM...

Best
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

Max, I can't tell why the holes in to the rotor groove? I can only imagine someone thought they might vent.

The calipers on the right are the rears. I've circled the area where I think would be easiest to spot the difference. I measured the pad cavities using this photo and a drawing program and they are smaller. I'm not sure if they are the #31 size though.

The caliper on the left sppears to be a very late 908 caliper, possibly another experimental caliper which led to the final revision for street cars.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

OK, I see now. They are shorter.
    Last edited by Flieger; 04-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.