Thread: Help identifying/evaluating a few rare parts

Help identifying/evaluating a few rare parts

I'd like to ask your help in identifying a few rare parts and also in determining their current market value.

The first is a NOS fiberglass/balsa front trunk lid. There is a part number written on the front of it in grease pencil (or something similar) that looks like 911.511.901.00.

The second part is an un-restored steel-framed ducktail. I know there are at least a couple versions of this part; based on the holes for the license plate lights would you assume that this tail was from an RS? Another question - does the original color appear to be Signal Yellow? If so, that would be another argument in favor of this being from 1973. Judging from the multiple paint layers and overall condition, anybody reckon that this tail saw some use on a race car?

The last part I don't need to identify, it's a NOS RSR forged front crossmember. I have seen very few sales of these and most are used, not new. Anybody seen a new one sell in the last couple of years?

Thanks for your help,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I have no current prices to help with any of the items. You are correct about the ducktail being from 73. Once you are comfortable with the price advice of others I could use all of the pieces.

Javadog ,

I don't really know what to say/think about your ducktail. I see some details that I have never seen before. And i've looked hard at what , i would believe , are most of the variations.

On the hood , there is one being offered on this forum currently for 4500 US. It is described as being purchased from Vasek Polak in the early 90's (who knows when constructed ?) . It seems to be pretty much identical in contruction to yours with exception of the notch in the holes for the rubber bumpers at the leading edge, being cut out on the opposite side of the hole. Unless one of the two photos is somehow reversed ?

And I cannot clearly see the fiberglass overlay cloth pieces on yours , which go over the balsa strips. On this other hood. This glass mat (the thin pieces over the balsa strips) is a smaller fiber strand weave than the mat used underneeth on the bulk of the hood main outer skin construction.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.

What details do you see on the ducktail that are different? I'm not as familiar with these as I am the later whale tails and I have seen a lot more variations of those in the last few months than I would have ever thought existed...

I have attached a closer view of the different fiberglass weaves on the lid. The balsa strips are covered with a glass cloth that has a much finer weave than the rest of the piece. There are three of these hoods that I know of for sale at the moment. All are used. The last NOS one that I saw for sale was a while back.

Thanks for the help,
    Jeff

Javadog ,

What i'm seeing are some irregularties with the metal insert. Heres a photo of yours. I've circled the unusual spots. And another to compare with pointers to the same spots (on the comparision tail , do not pay any attention to the outward protruding rectangle on the frame which I have circled in RED . This rectangle is a feature that can either be on a late 1973 MY steel frame Ducktail .... or not. It just depends on what was in the insert pile , and grabbed during construction. This feature was implemented on steel decklid inner frames seemingly sometime in early-mid 1973. And seem to start popping up about midway into 1973 MY on normal steel decklids (My guess is this is slightly later for steel framed ducktails as they had earlier pieces in the piles that were being used up. At some point the piles , most likely, were made up of both ....getting lighter on the early frames as time when by). In general , from the ones I have examined. Most steel frame Ducktails seem to have this rectangle . That is BOTH 1973 and 1974. But more 1973 steel frame units , that are KNOWN to be originally built in 1973 MY period (delivered on a 1973 car) , need to be examined . Alloy inserts do not have this rectangle (or at least any that were made in 1972-1973 vintage. Possibly some later made alloy insert replacement tails . But I'm not sure on this).

You'll note on your insert , the area next to the grill opening ends has been trimmed (circled in YELLOW) . I don't know if this could have been done while the whole thing was assembled or not ? But it seems unlikely.

And on the latch mount/support. Either yours has been trimmed (area circled in GREEN) . Or for some strange reason , The metal decklid inner frame was contructed with a 1964-early 68 style latch support bar. But with the main piece 68.5 - on (this piece on Pre 68.5 is differant).
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-05-2011 at 07:30 PM.

As discussed earlier , there are two main shell (fiberglass) types. The main feature that differentiates them , is the size of the grill opening , measured on the top side of the shell. The earlier style is smaller (8.25" ) . The larger is 9" . By 1974 MY , you can find either . On the VERY first 1974 MY cars they seem to normally be small opening. After that , it's either one . But I cannot say for sure when the 2nd opening was actually introduced. Currently there are some late 1973 RS2.7's running around with large opening tails. Did they originally come with these ... I don't think so , but i I can't say for certain ? The history of the car would have to be known.

As far as why differances (grill opening size , licence plate lights , etc) ......can be found either / or , after a certain point. Older pieces in the piles at the construction spots being used up. And also differant construction spots come into play. I believe that in 1973 MY , i have read in Dr. K's book, that fiberglass pieces were being constructed in at least two differant spots on premises at Zuffenhausen. And my quess is they probably had an outside vendor making pieces also. Maybe more than one !
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-05-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Is the irregular shape of the grill opening significant? Looks rather crude.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

It certainly does look more crude then normal (the opening in the glass shell) . I would venture that there could always be a possibility it was a pre-production unit. But then you would think the insert would be alloy . The latch support does not make any sense to me. There would seem to be no reason to trim down the version that was around by the time ducktails were first created. And if not a trimed down piece . Why use the years earlier support ? Either way , it is very strange.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-05-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Now that I look at it again even harder. Not only are the narrower sides up near the top of the opening on the metal insert trimmed ( where grill ends would be) . So is the whole upper edge , and very iregularly.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-05-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Faktory Fiberglass + Balsa Front Hood

. . . 911.511.901.00

Olde Threade Alerte

Quote Originally Posted by javadog View Post
    . . . NOS fiberglass/balsa front trunk lid. There is a part number written on the front of it in grease pencil (or something similar) that looks like 911.511.901.00 . . .

Yeeeeoowie!

We Can Be Heroes