Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a SWB door frame fit into a LWB car?

Will a SWB door frame fit into a LWB car?

A friend is interested in having a vent window in his track car, which is a 1972 LWB. He wants to know whether the SWB door frame will fit his LWB door and whether the LWB door glass will fit in the door channel of the SWB frame?

Barring that, will a SWB door mount on a LWB chassis without any difficulties?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Neil '67 911S; 04-05-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Neil, it has the same mounting points, and the doors are pretty much the same.

I think if you search the Bird i recall someone has done it.

Tony

Hi,

Yes and yes is the simple answer.

Hope that helps.

Alan

If your friend decides to do this, he really wants to use a '68 window frame not an earlier one. The '68 is aluminum and has an opening vent window. '65-'67 are chrome plated brass and much heavier.

johnt

Neil,

this is an almost identical duplicate of a thread you posted on 8 / 23 / 2010, except then it was for a friend with a '70 for the track. I remember replying with some advice, but you wanted to sell him your frames and were also looking for values.

What are we trying to do here ?

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Neil,

this is an almost identical duplicate of a thread you posted on 8 / 23 / 2010, except then it was for a friend with a '70 for the track. I remember replying with some advice, but you wanted to sell him your frames and were also looking for values.

What are we trying to do here ?

JZG
    Hi John,

Funny thing about the early S search engine. I'd forgotten about that post and it didn't pop up either. Now that you mention it, I recall that someone suggested that he use an aluminum frame to save weight. I don't recall that anyone stepped up to answer the question as to whether they would fit the LWB doors and glass so now I have the answers to both questions. Thank you Alan!

Clarification on the car is that it's a '73 (built in '72) and NOT a 1970. And yes, I have a set of NOS frames that I'm interested in selling him. And I have a pair of SWB doors that I could sell him as well but since his doors are in good condition, the frames only alternative is what interests him the most.

I also recall saying that practically speaking, since he is a club racer and not a professional vintage racer (is there such a thing?) for whom saving those precious few ounces make a Real Difference, is not a real consideration here. It's more about staying cooler in the heat of the summer at the track, while willing to sacrifice some of those expensive and hard-won kilowatts of power to the aerodynamic drag of open vent windows.

So John, while we're at it, what would NOS chromed brass SWB door frames be worth?

Many thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

A 73 car would not be the best choice for NOS Chrome frames. They should go to and will bring better money to a SWB resto.
    ie, To look right he would have to change at least the 1/4s and the possibly the rest of the chrome. But if he used some aged 68s they would look right.
    IMHO, H

Pre-'68 coupe door frames fit in a '70 coupe?
    Someone asked me if the pre-'68 coupe wing-windowed door frames would fit in a '70 coupe. He figures that with wing windows, he'd be lots cooler in his track car.
    Any ideas what a pair of wing-window door frames with decent chrome might be worth?
    Thanks!

- Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Thanks for the fitment advice.

As to the extra weight, since the door frames are certainly very near the fore-aft center of gravity, those couple of extra pounds won't make much difference speed-wise to your typical PCA boy racer. Besides, he can use the chrome to blind the competition.

Actually, calling EASY, Parts Heaven etc. would be considered bad form as I have a pair of wing-window frames that I'd probably sell this person.

Anyone have any ideas what they might be worth? I'd say these are in "fair" condition.

- Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Neil

I don't know how to put up multiple quotes in one post, so instead I just copied and pasted your own posts in the thread of 8-23-2010. Obviously my answer is sandwiched in between your posts, but I don't think that's the point here.

What I submit is the point is the inconsistency in your description of your frames, which you describe first as "decent", then "fair" and today they're "NOS" .....and BTW, the car was a '70 in your Aug. '10 post. I guess that could be an innocent enough mistake to make, but fair vs. NOS......??

I think you'll find most members would hesitate to just blurt out a $$$ figure when your description is so inaccurate & inconsistent. Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the frames in question, because the value of "fair" would be a fraction of NOS. As far as calling the Porsche-only salvage yards, let me assure you they get dozens of inquiries by people asking how much so-&-so part costs to help with competitive buying decisions without making the sale. Asking them would not be bad form at all, it's what they do, and they have an excellent handle on the value of the parts.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 04-05-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added color emphasis in quotes
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Pre-'68 coupe door frames fit in a '70 coupe?

I don't know how to put up multiple quotes in one post, so instead I just copied and pasted your own posts in the thread of 8-23-2010. Obviously my answer is sandwiched in between your posts, but I don't think that's the point here.

What I submit is the point is the inconsistency in your description of your frames, which you describe first as "decent", then "fair" and today they're "NOS" .....and BTW, the car was a '70 in your Aug. '10 post. I guess that could be an innocent enough mistake to make, but fair vs. NOS......??

I think you'll find most members would hesitate to just blurt out a $$$ figure when your description is so inaccurate & inconsistent. Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the frames in question, because the value of "fair" would be a fraction of NOS. As far as calling the Porsche-only salvage yards, let me assure you they get dozens of inquiries by people asking how much so-&-so part costs to help with competitive buying decisions without making the sale. Asking them would not be bad form at all, it's what they do, and they have an excellent handle on the value of the parts.
    Hi John,

To answer your comment about "inaccurate and inconsistant", actually I have both. I have available a pair of 'fair' condition frames that have been "salt et" as was typical in New England SWB and a pair of NOS frames. My friend has been offered either pair. And clearly, much to your further annoyance, I've also offered him entire doors, but then I've already mentioned in my most recent post that his doors are in fine condition.

Jim Brezeale is a good friend and since you reproduced my posting, you already know how I feel about imposing on our friendship in the way you suggest. Call is simple courtesey, but that's how I feel about it. Just so you know, one thing that really pisses him off is for the likes of you and your friends to call him about a part under the guise of being interested in buying when the true motive is to determine "market value." Just thought you ought to know because he is too courteous to tell you up-front. After-all, he makes his living at this and he serves our community in a way that a curmudgeon doesn't.

As to polling opinions about the market value of parts on this list, I have done so in the past as have others. So, what's your real beef?
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    A 73 car would not be the best choice for NOS Chrome frames. They should go to and will bring better money to a SWB resto.
    ie, To look right he would have to change at least the 1/4s and the possibly the rest of the chrome. But if he used some aged 68s they would look right.
    IMHO, H
    Hi Harvey,

I think you are probably right about the chrome clash. I assumed that they were also chrome, but lacking a wing window. Are the quarter window frames on a '72/'73 anodized aluminum?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Neil '67 911S; 04-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C