Thread: Correct parts for Pertronix upgrade??

Correct parts for Pertronix upgrade??

Hi,
    I´m planning a Pertronix upgrade (67S) and need to make sure I order the correct parts.
    Have done a search here and found the product order number for the Pertronix kit is: # 1866.
    The local dealer in Norway has told me I also need a Pertronix 1,5 ohms coil and spiral wound plug wires. They say solid core has wrong resistance and could destroy the electrics.

1: Do you agree this is the parts I need??
    2: What spark plug wires are the best?? (Would like to avoid red, blue, yellow etc)

Thanks, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I assume you're talking about the Pertronix magnetic point replacement kit. If that's all you're changing you don't need a different coil or spark plug wires. We've done the point replacement many times without changing anything else. MSD systems require changing spark plug wires to non-stranded wire type and you should use their coil.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I assume you're talking about the Pertronix magnetic point replacement kit. If that's all you're changing you don't need a different coil or spark plug wires. We've done the point replacement many times without changing anything else. MSD systems require changing spark plug wires to non-stranded wire type and you should use their coil.
    Ed, When using Pertronix points, with MSD along with MFI; is there any problems with holding the key in the on position(for 5 seconds) during hot starts? I'm wondering does this procedure burn out Pertronix Points?

Quote Originally Posted by bliebler View Post
    Ed, When using Pertronix points, with MSD along with MFI; is there any problems with holding the key in the on position(for 5 seconds) during hot starts? I'm wondering does this procedure burn out Pertronix Points?
    NO, not that I'm aware of. I know that at various times when working on a car we've had the ignition switched on for more than 5 seconds without any effect.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Ed,
    The person I spoke to here had been advised by a salesperson to offer wires and coil also. Probably to sell more parts.
    Thanks for clearing this up.

Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Probably not bad advice- the wires tend to get worn out over time and a set of old wires will make it look like problems with the pertronix. The advice about the coil is good advice too-- depending on what coil you have already, the new coil can offer lower primary resistance and allow it to draw more amperage. The downside is that lower resistance charges to the first time constant slower, so there's definitely a tradeoff between resistance, inductance and the amperage you're trying to get the coil to draw. Long winded way of saying that an original Bosch coil has a resistance that's designed to keep the total amperage across a set of points under four amps, so the points don't burn up (even with a condenser present). Once you use a solid state switch that's good for, I don't know, seven amps, you can use a lower resistance coil with the hope of putting more energy into it and getting a better spark at high RPM.

There is incredible snake oil out there in the ignition area, but the physics are constant.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Does the 67 S have CDI?
    Petronix eliminates points. Thats the point :-)

No more messing with dwell, points etc. Set it and forget it for years and years. Best mod you will ever make. One wire to a power supply is all it takes. Easy, lemon squeezy.

Chris
    73 911 E

I did this 8 years ago and have had zero problems. I know mechanics who have dislike for the Pertronix igniter and said they fail but really, every part on a Porsche can fail.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm