Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have an early 911!

I have an early 911!

I have been somewhat obsessed with checking about 10 different sources to find an affordable, early 911 for about 2-3 months now. I think my wife was about ready to have me committed lol.
    Thurs nite just as I was finishing up at work I scanned the LA craigslist and ran across an ad for a 1971 911T it was just listed a few hours before. No pics, a one sentence description. The low price got my attention!
    That is the year I was born and I always thought it would be cool to have a 911 in that year. I've been looking for a signal orange or a metallic gold car, my budget realistically was 20k or less.
    A couple of phone numbers were listed so I called straight away, 2nd owner car since 1977, orange on black. All original but someone was already on there way to see it, they would let me know if they still had it.
    About an hour later I hadnt heard back so I called again, the guy still hadnt arrived up to see it.
    I'll cut it short here, over the next 24 hours- a whirlwind of phone calls, western union visit, and a long drive thru a spring Arizona snowstorm later... I have it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rwm514; 04-11-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    1971 Porsche 911T Signal Orange/ Black
    1968 Porsche 912 light ivory/ red--original
    2006 Cayman S, black on black, Borla, PSS9's

Welcome to the madness.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

A stand-out color for sure...now, more photos!

PS - Love the steel wheels...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Congratulations !
    I have a 71 T Please a few more pics and the last 4 numbers of the vin

congratulations, and welcome to the community.

thank you for sharing the story of your purchase. my 1971 T too was a craigslist purchase. my previous owner drove it up the 3 or so hours, and i paid for his train ticket home. i still think back to how awkward it was to drive an unfamiliar vintage car back the 1 mile back to our house ! and now it's like the most comfortable pair of jeans for me(well, next to my DD 1990 Saab 900T of course)

you will fall into the keep it original or hotlaw fork in the road soon enough, but whatever you decide, enjoy and drive the sucker : )

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Thx guys, I am excited but a little overwhelmed. The car has no visible rust, even the floor pans are original and solid. The paint looks a lot worse in person than in the pics. The dash is cracked, the front seats actually are very nice, very original, still has the orig blaupunkt radio
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Very nice score! Congrats and welcome to the assylum. That car looks to be really straight, so I would just clean it up, fix any mechanical issues, and drive the snot out of it. The paint looks to be OK - you will be surprised what a buffer and a skilled detailer can do. Enjoy.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Congrats and welcome!! I also bought my T via craigslist but it was 2mins from work. Love the orange. Post more pics of the interior and trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Very nice score! Congrats and welcome to the assylum. That car looks to be really straight, so I would just clean it up, fix any mechanical issues, and drive the snot out of it. The paint looks to be OK - you will be surprised what a buffer and a skilled detailer can do. Enjoy.
    Thx. Yeah thats probably best, I really want to fix it up but enjoying it first is probably best for now.

Quote Originally Posted by EA911 View Post
    Congrats and welcome!! I also bought my T via craigslist but it was 2mins from work. Love the orange. Post more pics of the interior and trunk.
    Will do. Right now the trunk full of interior parts lol, the rear deck vinyl and board, the door pockets...

The headliner is really bad, carpets are pretty good. The dash cover though... looks like it exploded