Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earliest Sun Roof Coupe?

Earliest Sun Roof Coupe?

Reviewing the Registry list I see only three early 1965 production coupes with sun roofs.
    Vin 302266 (mine) is the earliest in number showing on the list. The car was built on Sep 8, 1965 per COA
    The other two sun roofs are vins 3026xx.
    Somewhere I heard or read the sun roof was a 1966 model year option. true?
    Are there earlier sun roof coupes still in existence?

Thanks for any help with this history.
    Ron
    Ron Wiser, Member #703
    Looking for trans 7190114

afternoon ron,
    you have asked a question i have wanted to know the answer to for a long time!
    i am currently restoring a 66-911 # 303233 Sunroof built 12/20/65 per COA.
    like yourself i have not seen many early sunroof cars.
    regards
    magnus
    Attached Images Attached Images   

old softie67S
    Another shoddy effort by Magnus
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Where is the list you are referring to? I have a 65 sunroof coupe vin#301556
    Appreciate more info.
    Your sunroof coupe looks great Magnus.

I think this has got to be the earliest coupe with a sunroof.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Ruf is thinking, "How can I fit a pair of K27s under these fenders?"
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Were early metal sunroofs (1965 - 1967 MY) installed by Porsche themselves in-house. Or sub'ed out to a firm like Golde ? If outsourced , when did they become an in-house install ?

I found a few references stating VW used Golde metal units :

"Also, the Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia used Golde metal sliding sunroofs. ..."

Also this (porsche 911-912) :

"Porsche 911 1965 LHD (UK)

1965 Porsche 911; Great condition in and out, ruby red, rare electric steel sliding “Golde” sunroof, chrome Hella front fog lights, Fuch wheels… a very nice well cared for rare and reliable early 911 with Tax and MOT

Sold"

And I know 356 used Golde.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 04-13-2011 at 03:51 PM.

I had a very low mileage 72S with incredible documentation with it, and there was a Golde information "brochure" and tag that was in the documentation with the car (I had the original window sticker and quite literally every receipt from new). Car is gone, but I thought it was interesting that Golde was subcontracting at least the parts for the sunroof.

As far as being sub'd out in the early years, not sure, but it's a good guess...

e

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Please notice the difference in sizes between Magnus's roof and the Ruf pictured car. The very earliest cars had very small sunroofs, and I believe they initially were 356 C sunroofs. I remember seeing a very early car a loooong time ago with what appeared to be a complete 356 sized roof in it. I assumed it was original based on the switch and drain locations. Now that on in the Ruf picture goes "forward", and the one that I saw went back...

Just my .02, probably doesn't solve anything, just adds more questions... sorry...

e
    Dennis Frick, who restored the Meluzio protype car, tells an interesting story about that sunroof. As Eric said, it opened forward, and was hand cranked. When Dennis tried to get information from the factory about the roof they denied they had ever done that. After more prodding they finally found some retired worker who did remember the car and sunroof. Its a shame that that kind of history will die off as those who were there die off. I often wonder what effort, if any, is aimed toward gathering and documenting that history. The factory didn't even want Helmet Bott's personal notes, his widow donated them to P.C.A. who did want them!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by alekzandr View Post
    Where is the list you are referring to? I have a 65 sunroof coupe vin#301556
    Appreciate more info.
    Your sunroof coupe looks great Magnus.
    I'm fairly sure paid up members here get access to the register's data base of VINs etc but this info isn't in the wider public domain. As well as the great "Esses" its another reason to support the club with a membership.

cheers
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132