Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front wheel hub replacement 70' S" NLA part substitution???

Front wheel hub replacement 70' S" NLA part substitution???

What is the current solution for replacing the front hubs on early cars. In this case a 1970 911S. The replacement is NLA. What is everyone using. Unfortunately one of mine is seeking mother earth, so I will of course replace both. Replies appreciated. Thanks, Steve
    Steve ESR#1934

I guess you don't want NOS too badly:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=hubs
    I've bought a few good used ones to restore.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Just pick up a decent used set same on T,E or S replace races and bearing's. Not sure how far you can go up in year but sure past 73. Bead blast them spray on a matte clear and they will look like NOS.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

The hubs changed in 74MY. You should be able to use 68-73 MY. -67 has a little different thickness.
    H

Yes, there are several varieties. The non-vented rotor used a different hub (shorter) from the vented rotor. Then in 1974 the hub included a wheel centering feature.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Hello Gents, I guess that was my initial question, do later years hubs work? Specifically 74-83 with vented rotors or?? Is there a rotor/caliper centering issue....
    I would rather replace the hubs with something I felt was safe, rather than a 40+ year old part with unknown history and mileage. My brain plays tricks on me at triple digits with parts that are unknown or knowingly worn. Thanks, Steve
    Steve ESR#1934

The late hubs have a lip for the hub centric wheels as stated . There is no reason not to use the correct early ones. They don't have a age problem as such. You can allways have them cracked checked. They have not been a part that fails easily. I would not trust a 89 3.2 hub any more than a 71 hub from a wrecking yard.....They all need inspection. IMHO
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 04-15-2011 at 09:30 AM.

I have 16x7 and 8 Fuchs, so those must be later, hub centric wheels, right? I have them on my '71S which to my knowledge has the original hubs. Do I need the hubs with a lip on them?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

No, they work fine. The hub centric idea only marginally helps with the centering. Usually as soon as a shop gets ahold of the wheels with a center mount tire changer, (or some balancers) the center is damaged enough to cancel the benifit. Many we see have been scarred and need cleaning up. Were are talking about .003-.007 here, not much considering the wheels easily balance up to .030 or more.
    H

Thanks Harvey.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425