Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think you can get your money back out of a restoration? 71 911t

Think you can get your money back out of a restoration? 71 911t

I'm about to embark on a nice but modest restoration of a 71t calif car. Due to rust, it needs a new front half pan and a rear deck (behind rear seats). Body is really straight, interior is ok, its needs a dash recover. Runs good but needs a lot of maintenance related stuff: suspension, wheel bearings, carrera tensioners etc etc lol. In a way this was exactly what I wanted, a car that I could refreshen back to a very nice original condition. It was poorly resprayed back in the 80's and needs stripped and repainted. I'm about to dive in and disassemble for paint but I am a little nervous about my money going down the drain in case in a couple years I decide to sell. I really don't plan on selling but I guess Im just being practical. Can any wise people here share their thoughts with me on a project like this?
    1971 Porsche 911T Signal Orange/ Black
    1968 Porsche 912 light ivory/ red--original
    2006 Cayman S, black on black, Borla, PSS9's

Dont skimp on rust repair/paint ,go with the original color ,keep it stock , dont EVER add up your receipts and you should be fine eventually. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chiroracer View Post
    Dont skimp on rust repair/paint ,go with the original color ,keep it stock , dont EVER add up your receipts and you should be fine eventually. Steve
    Love that lol, its true though- each thing by itself seems very palatable.
    1971 Porsche 911T Signal Orange/ Black
    1968 Porsche 912 light ivory/ red--original
    2006 Cayman S, black on black, Borla, PSS9's

Not in the first 5+ years, especially if you do it right. It being a "T" makes the financial breakeven much tougher. I'm not a hater, I have 3 71 "T"s.
    Early S Reg #1809

If you get what you want, you won't think about the money!
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

I think any any well sorted rust free 901 is going to be "worth what you pay" regardless of the T/E/S 'status'. If you go into these cars with the intention of making money, you'll probably be disappointed.

Some perspective though; in my Australian market my car has more than doubled in value from purchase price. But I've spent at least the original purchase on getting it where I want it... Am I in front?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Some perspective though; in my Australian market my car has more than doubled in value from purchase price.
    +1, same for Europe. Good cars are harder to get. If, they are restored or if not, their price is adjusted to current market values.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 04-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Chiroracer said: "Dont skimp on rust repair/paint ,go with the original color ,keep it stock"
    +3 from me. The smart money is on these 3 issues. Apart from those in the resto business, very few of us buy our cars with the expectation of selling them in the near future. BUT if things change (& sometimes they do!) a solid, stock car will always have a broader, more consistent buyer base. You'll seldom hear classic car owners lamenting the fact that they didn't keep their car standard (original spec). Also in most respects, keeping your car factory spec will "keep a lid" on your costs - the "slippery slope" begins with "... while we're here we should really up-spec this." I see you already have a 912, so welcome to the world of early 911s. All the best with your new project!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Reality it will be hard to recover the money on a flip..... There are those that have mastered the quick inexpensive fix, but not with the list of items you would like to restore.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

.....it's only about "what you paid for the car". Forget about "what it will sell for ". Good luck !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L