Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to drop front suspension as a unit?

How to drop front suspension as a unit?

I want to drop Annie's front suspension to do some clean up, do new fuel lines, and change out torsion bars.

I see the concept and what needs to unbolt - 4 bolts for crossbar, 4 bolts at front of A arms, struts, steering u joint, and sway bar drop links. Is there any particular order to unbolt, or does it matter?

Warren installed 21/26 torsion bars with the intension to go with much wider tires and turbo flairs, but I want to reinstall the 19/24 setup. Should I R&R while in the ground or do it while in the car?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; 04-18-2011 at 06:22 AM.
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Order isn't critical but I'd do sway bar first, then maybe the several bolts holding the crossbar/A arms in place. If you are leaving the struts in place you need only grapple with the wedge bolt at the bottom where it attaches to the A/control arm. If the struts are coming out the brake caliper and hub are best removed first which you can do by removing the top nuts inside the trunk. Do a search here and on Pelican about removing the wedge bolt; there is much argument about whether to pull that or the ball joint. Both can be challenging.
    Torsion bars can be changed anytime.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Leave it in the car! After watching film of the factory I thought it would be cool to assemble and install as a unit.

Not! You have no leverage to tighten fasteners or pressing the A-arms into the cross member as the thing is too big far a vise, and it will flop around on the floor.

Also, if you do manage to get the whole assembly together.....it is a LUMP!!! You won't be able to lift it up to the car and get all the holes lined up without help.

On stripped car the order is: sway bar, cross member, A-arms, struts, hubs/rotors, calipers, then torsion bars.

Let the weight of the structure/caliper assembly help pull down the A-arm to position the t-bar and cap. Viola! Done!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

I totally agree with Mark about pulling the whole unit out as a unit. Take it apart, piece by piece. There is no advantage to keeping it all together and many disadvantages as he points out.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

I have swapped complete intact front suspension units between cars several times. Start with the steering, struts, A-arms and then lower the cross bar with 2 floor jacks. It is a bit of a mess as the the a-arm/struts flop around and the whole unit twists in place from the weight of the hub/rotor and brakes. You can place the hub/rotor/brake and a-arms on two floor jacks and roll it around. Use the 2-jack method to align and lift into position. Did I say it is not pretty.

I guess a lift would make it easier to take it out as a unit, but I'm doing it on jackstands. The lump sounds pretty unwieldy.
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Mark,

I have a lift, two floor jacks, multiple jack stands, etc.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Remember, the factory had special fixtures and jacks...and a bunch of hands. I've been there and watched them do it.

Mark
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

I know it can be done, but why? You'll be taking it apart anyway to do bushings etc.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

Actually, Warren replaced all of the bushings and replaced the struts with new Konis... in 1982 when he installed the larger bars. At least that is what I am finding while researching his posts on Pelican.
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Sounds to me like you want to leave it all in place and just replace the torsion bars. Easy.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara