Thread: Rear tire to fender clearance difference side to side

Rear tire to fender clearance difference side to side

Seems that on some early cars, there is a side to side difference how the tire/wheel sits relative to the quarter panel where one of the tires sits closer to fender than the other. It is pretty pronounced on Annie - probably 3/4" or so out on the right side. I have seen some threads on Pelican where people explained this discrepancy away as the cars were built by hand and not machines. Is this a viable explanation or are there other reasons? I tried a search and didn't come up with any discussions. Has anyone successfully centered the drive train up or is it something you live with?

Mark
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

It is more likely a corner balance/alignment effect than variation in manufacturing. The cars were not as hand built as a Ferrari 250GTO, which usually had better fitment than that. If you get in the car, the left will come down. The idea of a corner balance is to properly distribute the weight of the car among the 4 tires so that grip and stability is maximized. This is done in a race-ready configuration- meaning with driver, oil, fuel, etc. that will be in the car when driven. If the driver gets out of the car after the corner balance, then the mass distribution changes so the left side should come up.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I had a '73 that I discovered had been hit in the right quarter and the right rear wheel was "in" by about 5/8" due to a kink in the torsion bar tube ($$$$)

I had my alignment guy bend the spring plate outward. Solved the problem.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Mark, did you measure the quarters to see if they are different?
    Run a tape from the inner apron at the top of the tire to the outer edge of the quarter lip.
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

John,
    The rt quarter sits 1/8" closer to the apron - thanks for the suggestion. Warren had refreshed the suspension in the early 80's and I'm guessing he never drove or aligned it afterwards. I'm wondering if the camber may be way off. She's on jackstands without wheels right now, so no way to check.

EG,
    That's very possible, as the rt door and front of quarter show evidence of some heavy handed 1970's bodywork.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; 04-20-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Mark there are ways to measure the suspension components.
    Is the car local to me?
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

John,
    Wish I was, but I'm in Dallas. I can probably get Ed Mayo to take a look at the suspension. I plan to take her to his shop for the initial start up attempt (after 25ish years of hibernation).
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Ok, good luck with her!
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I don't think that it is unusual to have your problem. On more than one occasion I've had to increase -camber/raise ride height to gain clearance on the right rear with no bent arms good balance and alignment. Gordon