Thread: Our Newest Project - 69S

Our Newest Project - 69S

Some of my favorite threads on this forum is the stories of members and their cars. Therefore, I figured I would write about our newest 911 - 119301379 - a late 69S and why we bought this car. Back in the early 70's my father bought a 65 911 and a 66 912. I don't remember the 912 as I was only a toddler when he had it. He does have stories of how it was so rotten when you hit large pothole the hood would open due to the flex in the whole front pan. As for the 65, that car stayed with us until the mid 90's and a car I wished we had never sold. It was an Irish green 65 with tan interior and basket weave inserts. It was car #300423 (that or 300426 - will have to go back in my dad's records to verify the number) so a very early 65. It also had a racing history and it's home track was Raceway Park in CA. In the 1987 the car was given to me to drive when I was in high school. It still had the racing harnesses in it for it's track days in the 60's, but I just used the lap belts. The wipers didn't work so i had Rain-X on the windshield and had to do over 40 so the rain would "slide" off. The 2.0 was original to the car but it ran Zeniths from a 70'sT along with custom air cleaners. It had newer Fuchs and totally solid floors. I went off to college 1990 and the car sat in my fathers barn. We started to restore the car in 95 and found the front pan completely gone. Back then the car was worth nothing so we decided the money needed was too high and sold the car for 3K. Instead the effort went into a Jag E-type.
    In 1997 my Porsche bug bit me a again and I bought a 1980 911SC. Fun car but not raw like the 65. Sold that and dad and I went on to a number of other project cars. Well, the Porsche bug had been biting again for the last two or three years. My father and uncle were out out the Arizona Auctions selling my uncles 64 Corvette and there was a 67 and 69 911S at Russo and Steele. Both that had been discussed on this forum. The 69 was slightly better done then the 67 (both owned by the same collector). Both were redone but neither to our standards. But, it was all matching numbers and very solid with original floors/pan with only the rockers replaced. The motor had been gone through, but with any auction it is a bit of a leap of faith. We talked and I ended up bidding on it by phone but with a hard cutoff of what we would pay. I ended up winning it for a pretty fair deal for what the car is and the potential it has once we put our time into it. I was thrilled - a Irish green 2.0S to replace the car we should have never let go. It may not be a SWB car with our family history, but a new family history can start now, and maybe someday my son Alex will be writing about it. Anyway, here are some pictures of the 65 and our new 69. We do have work to do and I do have some questions as 69 seems to be a unique year in a lot of ways.

The 65:

Here is the 69. Is the dash a replacement dash? It looks like it's been on the car a long time and the speaker grill has a slight crack. If not mistaken 69 should have the removable speaker grill.

It looks like your dash is a aftermarket one. The speaker cover isn't typically integrated into the cover as one piece, the cover should be removable. Mine is 2 pieces, and the speaker cover floats with the windows down around 80 MPH (allegedly In looking under your engine cover, are you running carbs or an MFI system on it? Are those air filters aftermarket? Beautiful car, BTW, enjoy your machine. Pics always give me doubts about what my car has going on in it.
    Scott, a fellow 69S driver

Here is the 69. Is the dash a replacement dash? It looks like it's been on the car a long time and the speaker grill has a slight crack. If not mistaken 69 should have the removable speaker grill.

It looks like a replacement (superceeded) dash. Keep in mind the dashes cracked very quickly when they were left in the sun. And the one year 69 (along with the 70-73 part number) was superceeded to that dash in the late 70s. They were common replacements when they were less pricey.. and still prone to cracking...
    H
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-24-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott72 View Post
    My father and uncle were out out the Arizona Auctions selling my uncles 64 Corvette and there was a 67 and 69 911S at Russo and Steele. Both that had been discussed on this forum. The 69 was slightly better done then the 67 (both owned by the same collector). Both were redone but neither to our standards. But, it was all matching numbers and very solid with original floors/pan with only the rockers replaced. The motor had been gone through, but with any auction it is a bit of a leap of faith. We talked and I ended up bidding on it by phone but with a hard cutoff of what we would pay. I ended up winning it for a pretty fair deal for what the car is and the potential it has once we put our time into it. I was thrilled - a Irish green 2.0S to replace the car we should have never let go. It may not be a SWB car with our family history, but a new family history can start now, and maybe someday my son Alex will be writing about it. Anyway, here are some pictures of the 65 and our new 69. We do have work to do and I do have some questions as 69 seems to be a unique year in a lot of ways.
    Hi Scott,

I wondered where this car went after the auction. I had to laugh when I read your description of the previous owner and the work he did to the car. I bought my RS from Mike also and found the same sub-standard work. Fortunately, he didn't muck the car up much at all but I was able to see other cars at his place and was thankful the RS didn't recieve much attention while he owned it.

Looking forward to watch you guys work to bring it up to a high standard.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

It's not that it's a horibble restoration, it's more the little things. Stuff I would have plated was painted (and it's obvious). Crome is great on some things and needs to be done on others. Door/window trim is marginal. Just stuff like that. The paint is okay and decently straight, but needs another sand/buff. The gaps are not all that great. Will do what we can to fix the gaps, but it's not always easy on a car with the bodywork done already.

I'm starting to make a list now of things the car needs so I can start the search. Dash will be high on the list, but the replacements seem to be a pretty poor fit and 69 also seems to be a "1 year only" deal.

On the plus, took the car out over the long weekend and now that we got the injection straigthened out it runs really well. Pulls like a train for 4K on. Didn't push it too hard as I don't even think the motor has been completely broken it yet.

Olde Threade Alerte

'69 'S's are pretty special cars . . . I always perk-up when one comes up

Any updates? . . . .

. . . and how 'bout more pics?

We Can Be Heroes