Thread: Restoring Fuchs

Restoring Fuchs

Ok, I've gone back about 10 years of posts here on my search of "fuchs" and I haven't come across a good response.

About 20 years ago, I went to Robert Wood's house in West LA and got a set of his restored Fuchs for my 911. Stupidly, I handed over my matching '73 set for the wrong year wheels (with the wrong type center caps). That said, the wheels I got from him still look as good as the day I got them - and they've seen lots of miles.

There was one other thing about the wheels that I never liked. The reanodizing process made the metal more shiny than the original satin.

I just got a set of the right '73 wheels for my car. These are pretty much in the same condition of my set that I parted with 20 years ago. So, they need redoing.

Even though the difference is minor, I really don't want to lose that satin look. So, I'm thinking this time I will prep and paint them myself (instead of the powder coating that has clearly done so well on my current set).

I did just call Wheel Enhancement. I guess Robert has been gone for a number of years. They said that they would still come out a little bit shinier than original.

So, I'm looking for advice on (1) what shops can maintain the right satin look, and (2) advice on the right primer, paints and process to do it myself.

Thanks,
    Jay

Hi Jay.
    You should give Harvey Weidman (Weidman's Wheels) a buzz. He's a regular on this forum and will probably see this post, but he's one of the best shops for your project.
    Weidman's Wheels
    1675 Wyandotte Avenue
    Oroville, CA 95966-5919
    (530) 534-7903

-Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Hi Jay,

Just in case some pictures help you with your questions have a look at my web site.
    http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk/fuc...refurbishment/

We are miles away from you so no help there but I would certainly speak with Harvey.

HTH

Alan

Hi Jay,
    We do the wheels as they were done by Fuchs with the "satin" offset and spoke sides. It is a little tough to do it correctly at home but I have seen some pretty close. Like I have said before, they seldom try it again after seeing how much time it takes.
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Harvey did 6 wheels for me and they are fantastic!

Jerry

73S Coupe
    57 Carrera Speedster

Thanks for the references. Harvey, I'll have to contact you off line.

Meanwhile, I picked up the wheels today. They had a few knicks and a couple with curb rash, one had quite a bit. The "wrong" ones on my car now that were done by Robert Woods 20 years ago have none. I guess when I call Harvey I'll find out what can be done about that.

Also, now that I have them, I realize there was one other thing that bothered me about the swap that I did not realize until later. On the restored ones I got from Robert Woods, the wheels were shinier than the center cap. I remember now calling him about it when I noticed it. He said that was the way they came from the factory. Now that I have a 73 unrestored set again, I see it is what I thought. The center caps match the wheels much better. They are not exact, but the wheels are a little more satin-y than the restored ones and the center caps are a little more shiny than the new ones I got from Woods. So, with those slight differences, it makes them closer and more of a match.

So, what's with that?

Jay,

Harvey is THE guy for Fuchs. He has probably done more rims for award winning cars and just plain originality maniacs (me!) from all over the planet than anyone. His work exacts original finish, front and back, if you wish.

Center caps......I just unwrapped four NOS caps I had stashed for 20 years, and compared them to an NOS, in the box, 14 X 5 1/2 Fuchs I have kept just for reference.......the caps are duller! This is consistant with my memory of new cars I owned back in the 70s....the caps never matched exactly.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

The center caps were designed to match. The first problem is they are made of different alloy the get the crest detail and will not anodize the same color or grain pattern. Then the wheels were finished in wide range of anodize thicknesses to help the color issuse confusion.. The caps were made in at least 5 finishes (not including black). There was a brushed finish cap (may have been a different suppilier), a very light polish/anodize, a heavier not so polish/anodize, a rough as forged/anodize and a painted silver (the latest). They never did match the wheels exactly. The wheels with colored centers (RSs) look better with the not so polish/anodize style and the clear anodize spoke wheels look better with the polish/anodize finish. We do the best we can, but they actually they need a little color variation to look correct.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 05-01-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Harvey,

I have a really nice '72 T that in some areas was over-restored. I am slowing un-doing this and put more towards as the factory produced. One area is my Fuchs. They are very highly polished and look great except that it's "wrong". Is it possible to make the correct satin sheen as delivered? I am not familiar with the process so I wanted to jump in and ask. I am thinking of a winter project - pull the wheels off during the winter storms (I am in Colorado) and have ready for the coming season in 2012. I've not seen any curb rash or other boo-boos - just need to to tone down the wheels. For me it's an aesthetics issue not a bad wheel issue. If so, I will ping you off line to get a rough ball park estimate of costs.

Oh - no - I can feel the what kind of tires should I put on thread coming up.....

David

Harvey.
    Pls check your answering machine and email inbox.
    Have left you a couple of recent inquiries concerning refinishing/fabbing some 15x9 and 15x11 RSR wheels.
    Possibly be your area later this week (R Gruppe meet), and could drop the wheels off at your shop if the timing works for you.
    Thx, Doug
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V