View Poll Results: What's Your License Panel?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steel?

57 64.04%
  • Aluminum?

22 24.72%
  • Other? (. . . like fiber-glass, CF, paper-products w/duct tape, GONE!, etc . . .)

10 11.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL/CENSUS: What's Your License Panel? . . .

POLL/CENSUS: What's Your License Panel? . . .

Alright, alright ---- no fair pushing.

Goes with the 'lid' poll . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Your-Lid-.-.-.

. . . only now I wanna know about that flimsy little bit of (metal) underwear, out back, between your bumpers . . .

(The images I could come up with, here . . .)

Same Deal --- think of it as a census.

Steel?

Aluminum?

Or other?

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

When I first brought my 70S home the valance was steel as was the lid. After starting the teardown it was apparent that the car had seen a minor rear end collision. The left rear bumper had been replaced with a 72/73 version and after closer inspection of the steel valance it was obvious that it had been replaced at the same time. All of this was pre 75.

The steel lid stumped me for awhile. Since my car had factory Air, I assumed the steel lid had to be original because I couldn't wrap my head around an aluminum lid supporting the condensor unit. As I dug a little further I found irish green hidden very well under the black paint (original color of my car is silver). After seeing some mention on the boards that they had factory air AND an aluminum lid, the quest was on.

I've had my hands on three different lids. With the prices now, I should have kept all three even with the work they would have needed since they were all in the 400-500 dollar range. The lid I kept is still in its original silver which is a small nod to SOME of the originality I want to keep.

An original alum valance was more elusive.... I've bought and then sold two repos. I couldn't get past the obvious faults. They're OK for a hot rod that just wants to go on Jenny Craig or as a back up for my car but, they just wouldn't scratch that itch. Luckily one came up local to me recently that I could see in the metal which I then bought. He also had several in steel (orig and repops) I was able to point out to him the differences between original alum $ steel from the repops.

What will be interesting to show on my "new" piece with a couple of pics is the original glued stiffeners that are still in place of which we discussed in your earlier thread as well as the original undercoating which probably helped in keeping them there.
    Last edited by 70SATMan; 04-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Hey, Michael . . .

I know how you feel about that 'itch' . . .

And show off those stiffeners --- they alu, as well? Or steel? (Hey --- if they're glued . . . )

And? What did you give for the panel? . . . . gives a recent price-point.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-27-2011 at 07:58 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

It's gonna be a couple of weeks before I can get those pics posted. You do bring up a good point though. I've always assumed they would be Alum.

Its going to need minimal work and I picked it up for $250.

I lost out on one on EBay Germany a couple of months back. The auction ended before I could get a bid in. I think it went for about the same price if I recall. It looked to be in really good condition.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Judging by the numbers so far, the alu license panel seems to be a more common ---- and/or better-survived --- bit than I first thought . . . almost half the cars reporting have this feature.

Might be easier to find as a spare bit, as well? Going range seems to be $250-$400, exclusive of any repair/refinishing.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

305 views, 37 votes.

59% claim an alu license panel.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Home now so, pics and details of my panel will be forthcoming.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Michael . . .

And show off those stiffeners --- they alu, as well? Or steel? (Hey --- if they're glued . . . )

Rick Kreiskott
    Rick,

They are alum stiffeners.

The undercoat you see is not original as there are a couple of colors underneath. Silver over what looks like burgandy or primer over red which I believe was the original color. There is a light primer under that and then the alum. The tabs are a much cleaner stamping and the number of spot welds are telling as well. I think the repos only have two spots? Might be why you see a lot of them broke off.

THe spot welds for the seal channel are larger than the repos and my impression a fewer number. This is one area that is really noticable, the spacing of that top ledge and seal channel. Other notable details is the crispness of the under bumperette areas and the depth of the bow tie.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

a few more.........
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Keeping this poll alive . . . so far, less than a 1/3 of the cars reporting have this panel.

Very nice bit, Michael --- good photos, commentary, too. For anyone hunting for this . . .

And sorry to've missed you at RRIV.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes