Thread: Aluminum deck lid condition question

Aluminum deck lid condition question

About a week and a half ago, I posted an ad to sell a used aluminum deck lid. The listing can be found here, if anybody wants to read the particulars and look at the photos:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...inum-S-decklid

I've had over 400 hits on the post, yet it remains unsold, so I have to ask a couple of questions. Since I am negotiable on the price, as indicated above, is the condition of this part scaring off potential buyers, or is there just nobody needing an aluminum lid right now? I searched previous posts prior to posting the ad, to get an idea of asking prices and to see what sort of condition other lids were in and most of the ones I found had issues with corrosion, or minor cracking, or waviness, extra holes, etc. It was hard to find a really nice one. Granted, the nice replicas that are now available probably remove some of the desirability of used, real ones but do you suppose that the replicas have made real lids that are less than perfect, somewhat sale-proof?

I'd really like to sell it but maybe it's better just to get it refinished an put it on one of my cars.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff, since you asked. . .

I decided I wanted to use an aluminum decklid on my project and could use it 'right now', I looked at your ad once or twice trying to justify it but I couldn't hopefully without insulting you.

As the car I am building is more of an 'interpretation' rather than a restoration of anything in particular, I was/am open to the idea of a reproduction lid if the quality is good. I hear the quality on the reproductions is very good. [For the license plate panel, I want/have the original pressing]

Most of the original lids need something, they are so delicate.

Ultimately it came down to economics. A new repro lid that will take minimal/normal finishing is $2300 delivered, an original is $2800 ish plus $800 worth of extra labor to get it right. $2300 < $3600

I do think an original lid should be worth more than a reproduction, no question, but for me whether it was a quality repro or an original part did not matter. That said, if you'd take $1500 I would make it work.

Regards,
    Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Scott,

Don't worry about insulting me, I have fairly thick skin. One of the questions that I had going into this was, what value is placed on originality? The answer to that question might depend on whether a person has an original car, or something else. I really didn't know what the tradeoff between originality and condition might be, so I just took a stab at it. The asking price was a tough one. I priced mine about $500 under the only other one that I found on the market but that's no guarantee that either price is correct. It's sometimes hard to place a value on fairly rare things and I've seen the values of many early 911 parts fluctuate quite a bit over the last few years. Most have gone up, a few have come down.

Thanks for your comments,
    Jeff

Sent you a PM
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Perhaps you want to watch this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem= The guy selling it is not a scammer and the part is real.

johnt
    Last edited by JohnT; 04-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Is anyone running an aluminum lid raw and unpainted? Hey, flaunt it if 'ya got it....
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

I would.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425