Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 74 Carrera Coupe Resto

74 Carrera Coupe Resto

Would love to get some feedback from members here as I am just about to embark on a full resto of a US 74 Carrera coupe (#63 in the production run). The car came with the factory sport seats and orignal duck tail. The body is in very good shape, but has been color changed from lime green to red. I will be having the body taken down to bare metal and repainted back to the original factory color, which I love. All of the body work will be done by Freddie Hernandez here in the Bay area.

The question I have is with respect to the engine rebuild. I plan on having all the expected upgrades for a 2.7 motor rebuild, but can't decide whether to stay with the stock CIS injection or instead save the original injection system for originality sake, but go with PMO carbs instead. I have heard it said that going with PMO's would boost HP by 10 to 15%. First of all, is this really true and secondly, do you guys think it is worth the extra $4k to have done.

Thanks for in advance for your feedback.

You're in CA so you don't have to smog the car. If fuel consumption isn't a concern go with the carburetors. You may lose some of the turn-key ease of use that you get with fuel injection, but you will get more top end horsepower.

If you're interested in elastic midrange drivability and turn-key simplicity then go with the fuel injection.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

When you rebuild , since you have an early 1974 . You will have a motor that originally (if their still there) came with special Nikasil CIS Cylinders. If you need to replace , make sure you get the same...not the later Alusil cylinders.

I would keep the CIS , but that's me. In general , original will always be more valuable for collectors. But if you already have a changed motor for instance. Then that boat has sailed anyway.

It is a matching #'s car to begin with and will remain so with the rebuild. I was just thinking if I keep all the parts for the original CIS stored in a safe place for originality sake, then would it be a real detriment if I went with the PMO's? If I ever decided to sell the car way off in the future, as long as all the CIS system is still intact, it would be sold with the car. I just think the motor would look so much better with the carbs since it isn't hidden be the mass of CIS and factory air cleaner, plus from what I understand there is a significant performance boost with the carbs setup.

I would keep the CIS.........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

The CIS is a great everyday driving set up and very civilized, not a real neck snapping horsepower machine. For the money you are spending why not rebuild the car as a Euro Carrera and go with MFI and 210 HP? That adds value to the car especially if the CIS is in a box back home but I think you would be amazed at the performance improvement plus....not too many Carreras with carbs.....

I agree if modding the motor build the MFI 2.7RS spec

We just bought a '74 normal with a full-house 2.7L carbureted motor that we built a few years back.

The car goes like a raped ape ... but it's finicky in traffic and doesn't like to toddle around town. I wouldn't want CIS on this particular car, but a good running CIS 2.7L can be a lot of fun and very easy to live with.

MrBH has a good point about the MFI, though ... turn-key usability with more performance than you'd ever get with CIS.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 05-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    The car goes like a raped ape ... .
    seriously where did this expression come from Tarzan.....

I have a '74 911S with the same motor as your Carrera. I think the performance with the CIS is excellent, as is the driveability and gas mileage. Unless you are going to race it I would not do carbs. An MFI Euro-Carrera conversion however would be very cool.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green