Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 74 Carrera Coupe Resto

When I bought my 74 Carrera, the first item on the agenda was a PMO conversion. Then I spent some time driving the car (stock 2.7 CIS, SSI, M&K muffler). It has far exceeded my expectations - which were admittedly low based upon reading years of CIS-bashing threads. There is no way I'm even considering modifying anything on this engine.

And if it makes people feel better, CIS fuel injection is mechanical fuel injection.

a IMGP9438.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 05-10-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    The CIS is a great everyday driving set up and very civilized, not a real neck snapping horsepower machine. For the money you are spending why not rebuild the car as a Euro Carrera and go with MFI and 210 HP? That adds value to the car especially if the CIS is in a box back home but I think you would be amazed at the performance improvement plus....not too many Carreras with carbs.....
    I forgot to mention a minor detail that the car is in fact going to be rebuilt to specs even higher than RS with 2.8 ltrs. Just makes no sense to spend all this money on a rebuild and not increase displacement. Would love to go with MFI, but much too costly for my budget.

Well, then you almost have to go with carbs (or EFI). There is no real 'tune-ability' with CIS. I just had to replace the CIS in my quattro (identical system to the 911) with EFI due to upgrading the turbo, cam and head.

Hey Steve, not to point out the bleedin obvious mate but are there any photos of your car in our future?

Of course I will be posting photos, but the project is just getting underway so probably won't post for a few weeks.

I have a 75S, back dated the exhaust, had the cams reground to SC specs and I love it, has a lot of torque etc. Your 74 with the earlier style ring and pinion in the transmission, and SC cams would be a blast, keep it looking stock I say. One other advantage of CIS vs carbs, less pollution and you dont have to breath gasoline fumes and the gas mileage is better...at $4 plus a gallon that is something to consider.

I own a 1974 Carrera 2.7 with 48K original miles totally stock with the exception of SSI heat exchangers and Sport muffler the sound is awsome and the drivability and performance is plenty, unless you want to build a Hotrod 911 i would keep it stock worth more in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a '74 US Carrera in lime green. I built a 2.9L for it and kept the CIS...looks totally stock and runs strong.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc. View Post
    Here's a '74 US Carrera in lime green. I built a 2.9L for it and kept the CIS...looks totally stock and runs strong.

Thanks for the inspiration! That car looks amazing.

you want this . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay