Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 74 Carrera Coupe Resto

You really need to look to see how you will use the car - plain and simple.

If its a weekend screamer / occasional track car, then go with PMO's, and store your CIS.

If not stay with CIS.

In Australia I've driven std ROW 2.7's which are not so heavily detuned as the US cars with pollution equipment, and they are great... not rocket ships, but fast enough, torquey and really fun.

I've also driven euro Carreras with MFI ( we call them G series Carreras here in Australia). The standard ones are superb, the modified ones (often with twin plug ignition and 2.9 P&C's) are sublime, and the historic race cars which are quite developed but are governed by a very strict framework of rules.... absolutely blow your mind! The raped ape comment is very appropriate for these cars!

Did Porsche ever switch to Alusil for the Euro Carreras with MFI in 1975? My understanding was this was just for the CIS cars, but I could be completely wrong.
    1974 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1975 Turbo 3.0 | 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI Sondermodell | 2012 Cayenne S
    GONE >> 1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1977 Turbo 3.0 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 | 2004 GT3

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    When you rebuild , since you have an early 1974 . You will have a motor that originally (if their still there) came with special Nikasil CIS Cylinders. If you need to replace , make sure you get the same...not the later Alusil cylinders.

I would keep the CIS , but that's me. In general , original will always be more valuable for collectors. But if you already have a changed motor for instance. Then that boat has sailed anyway.
    Okay Guys,

It's time for me to make the decision. Do I really want to cover up this pristine rebuilt motor with the CIS?
    Engine Pic.jpg

Yes...stock is beautiful.

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Quote Originally Posted by stevesc_us View Post
    Okay Guys,

It's time for me to make the decision. Do I really want to cover up this pristine rebuilt motor with the CIS?
    Engine Pic.jpg
    Go with the CIS to keep it original. You will be happy you did later.
    Mathis Engineering
    mark@mathisengineering.com
    74 MFI Carrera
    77 3.0 930 Turbo Carrera
    2000 996 GT3 R
    2004 996 GT3 RSR

There is not a darn thing wrong with a PROPER tuned C.I.S. with the back dated exhaust and advance the cam timing. Besides if you were going to go with with carbs you should have changed the cams by this point anyway. But if you didn't change from the C.I.S. pistons then you can't go with radical cams anyway since the valves will hit the offset C.I.S. dome, and if you don't change cams you're not getting the full benefit of the breathing the carbs allow. At this point stay with the C.I.S. When you install all this, just make sure you're getting full throttle opening, you'd be amazed at how many cars aren't! Looks like #5 intake gasket is flipped.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the advice. The cam currently installed is an SC sport grind for the CIS setup but my mechanic was willing to change out to a G60 cam if I wanted to go with carbs. At this point I have decided to stick with the CIS set up. Thanks to all for your helpful insights.