Thread: SN # 11850038- Removing original paint: best media to use?

SN # 11850038- Removing original paint: best media to use?

I got lucky recently and found a '68 S Targa ( SN#11850038) in a garage in Philadelphia, and immediately purchased the car. The original color is "zitronengelb", code 6824. It is complete, numbers matching, heavily documented and optioned and essentially rust free. The first US owner( I am the 3rd) did a thorough "ZBart" job while he also filled every conceivable cavity with heavy gear oil. However, having sat in the damp garage and acting as a "mouse apartment building" with the associated uric acid accumulation for over 15 years, we are going to do a bare metal/complete restoration on the car to return it to its as new, glorious past. Bruce Baker of 356 restoration fame found the car for me and is doing the restoration. We are looking for the best way to do things and we would both like some advice on the best media to use to remove the paint for best results...any thoughts? We have also done some pretty thorough research on available "houndstooth" materials and have concluded the fabric from Deser-Turin to be the best combination original look and "hand". Any experience with this material?
    Thanks for the help.
    John Hodgson

For the houndstooth you might want to check out "Esoterik" on this board, he's having the "real deal" reproduced. I think "Autobahn" is doing the retail end of it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have evaluated "Esoterik's" material...looks pretty good but is very soft and I am therefore concerned over wearability.
    Thanks, John

Having only recently gotten a pair of Deser seats I can't comment on how their houndstooth will wear, but it does feel and look right.
    As to paint stripping, with Baker's history and reputation it's puzzling he doesn't have a preferred method. All dry media methods have drawbacks, IMO tank stripping is far more complete and less hassle but does anyone in PA still do it? RediStrip used to have franchises
    in every state, would be worth looking for one. Good luck with the restoration.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I think that soda blasting is a very good method. When you can see the heat bluing from welding and the steel makers markings intact I think it says a lot about the process.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=124292
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by johnchodgson View Post
    I have evaluated "Esoterik's" material...looks pretty good but is very soft and I am therefore concerned over wearability.
    Thanks, John
    John,

I had thought I had addressed that issue with you....

We've gone to pretty long lengths to demonstrate "wear" of our fabric.

Please see post #34 in this thread. We were concerned as well, but had two test "pads" made up and have continued since last year to wear test our fabric.... we've had no issues whatsoever. Here's a picture of one of our test pads.... We delayed production of our fabric for several months in order to make sure we were comfortable with the "wear" of our fabric.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...est#post461997

But, I will say that our fabric isn't cheap at $400 for two seats (and I completely understand that the handwoven nature of our fabric has yielded a price that is beyond many restoration budgets for this area of the car), and we also have limited distribution.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Soterik; 05-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Sorry, Eric...After comparing several samples, I concluded the Deser material was better for me. Not a function of cost as the Deser material is expensive as well. And last, by way of reminder, I asked you for names of folks that had used your material. Not hearing from you, I moved ahead.
    John

John, I can tell you as an owner of original houndstooth sport seats and another pair of recently done 68' sport seats (Autobahn) with Eric's houndstooth, the hand is the same, the thread count is the same and i believe the thread is wool. The originals have worn like iron and I expect Eric's will as well. Plus did you know Eric is in the textile business. Good luck SS early S reg #2

Many thanks, Steve. I appreciate it.
    John