Thread: What are the antique car laws in NYS

What are the antique car laws in NYS

some states do not require a front plate...
    So what are the pros and cons here to which status I should aply for . My car was born in 1975
    thanx!

In NY you must have two plates unless you want to register the car with vintage plates then you are subject to the law in effect at the time that your car was built. In your case you would need two plates.

You need Historic Insurance to get Vintage plates so you can't use your car every day.

Go to the DMV web site http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm and scroll down to Vintage Plates and you can see what is necessary. To get Vintage Plates try auction sites and google vintage license plates.

If you need any more help or info PM me as I've done this a couple of times.

Peter M

plates

WOW,NYS is a Hammor and Cycle State for dam sure...
    If I have to run two plates it is no longer a reason to bother
    But Thanx for the info!

They are fond of front plates as a target for radar and laser!
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Afterburn what is your intention. I can tell you that I have lived in NY all my life and have had several cars without front plates. Here is what I have found. I have never been stopped in a Porsche for not having a front plate. The BMWs I have owned are a different story, I got stopped all the time. If you do get caught it is an equipment violation, you have 24 hours to mount the plate on the car and take it to the police dept for an inspection, then the case is dismissed. Then you remove the plate. If you use vintage plates most police don't even know about the program and will let you go because they are not sure of the law. I am looking for a vintage 911 and will not be mounting a plate on the front of it.

plates

Now thats a thought....maybe I will persue it...Vintage plates