Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS flares or factory?

RS flares or factory?

Does this matter or effect the cars value? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I'd like to get opinion from the board. The car is a '73S with matching number trans and motor to the COA. I'm in discussions with a body guy to possibly change my quarters that have been on the car since '74.

I know the adage, "Drive it and enjoy the car" which is easier said than done. We all have that something on our cars we'd like to change or enhance. Now you know mine!

So...does this really add value (perceived)?

Thanks for your opinion.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

My vote - keep the flares, build the motor to 2.7 and call it a tribute to the 73RS prototype.

Ps. A mate has the twin of this car in the UK, including the colour and the rear flares.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Dave, very nice car but these look like SC-flares to me?
    RGruppe #649
    Early911S #1788

Christian, I've gotten both RS and SC from many. Do you have a source for determining the difference? In your opinion does it matter as far as value goes?
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627

I'll build my next car from a "T" and do a 2.5 motor in Gulf Blue and not care about the originality as much as I do this car. Your friend has good taste!
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627

If the flares really were done in '74, leave them. That said, they do look like SC flares in that photo.

Ask Chuck about period modifications.

Remember, there was a class for hot rods at Pebble Beach- if they were made "in period" and preserved as they were.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Dave,

I am attaching several photos to try to eliminate some apparent confusion.

Photo #1. New RS flares, factory supplied ( they are still available from Porsche ) I bought these for my car 5 years ago and installed them on Ruprecht. Please note the outside edge of the flare, especially the edge of the flat surface facing outward - it is wider at the 12 o'clock position than at 9 & 3 o'clock and the transition of the flat into the main body of the flare is rounded.

Photo #2. An SC flare. Please note the outside edge of the flare - a uniform width flat surface with sharp edge all around. The flare itself is identical in contour and profile to the RS flare other than the outside edge.

Photo #3. Your car shot a few weekends ago, .....clearly those are SC flares.

In my opinion the "incorrect" flares on your beautiful S will have a negative impact on its value. Replacing them with RS flares will be expensive because (again, in my opinion only ), I don't believe you'll be able to get away with merely re-spraying the rear quarters after you have welded in the RS flares. Silver metallics are notoriously difficult to match perfectly, so you're probably looking at a complete repaint to a standard commensurate with the rest of the car, which is quite high I submit. In my opinion the substitution of RS flares for the SC units is a financially "neutral" modification, i.e. the value would be pretty much what an unmolested '73 S would sell for....but there's the cost of performing that whole step. Also, nowhere is it written that you have to make an RS clone out of your car ( engine, ducktail, graphics, etc. ) if you choose to go with the RS flares only. It would merely look like an optioned '73 S.

Going to standard '73 fenders will in all likelihood cost pretty much the same as the RS flare conversion due to the same paint considerations, but you would probably not recover the total cost of the modification if the job is done properly & completely.

My recommendation,..........( again, it's only an opinion ), leave it as it is and enjoy it, or sell it for the max. $$$ it will bring in its present state, because whatever you do will cost more than any potential increase in resale value,....... and devote your energy to your new project.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 05-13-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Excellent information, John. Thank you for clarifying and your logic.

Dave
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627

Do not change!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

member #1515
    Leave it it's very nice!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs