Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Pocket Removal Question

Door Pocket Removal Question

My weekend project is to remove and ship my door pockets to Tony for restoration.

Removal of the folding pockets is straightforward, however, where are the fixed pocket fasteners hiding on a LWB car?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Frank View Post
    My weekend project is to remove and ship my door pockets to Tony for restoration.

Removal of the folding pockets is straightforward, however, where are the fixed pocket fasteners hiding on a LWB car?
    There are two for the fixed pockets. One is a black "Allen head" that is visible and accessible looking at the pocket. The other side of the fixed pocket is a nut which attaches to the stud from the pocket on the inside of the door. You can reach through the opening left by removing the movable pocket and remove the 10mm AFT nut. Thanks.

-Allen-

Thanks Allen.

I found the allen head screw in the upper front corner. I'll try to reach a 10mm socket in behind the door to get the rear AFT nut. What about the bottom? There appear to be a total of four rivets holding the pocket to two brackets.'

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Thanks Allen.

I found the allen head screw in the upper front corner. I'll try to reach a 10mm socket in behind the door to get the rear AFT nut. What about the bottom? There appear to be a total of four rivets holding the pocket to two brackets.'

Frank
    That's right! The pocket then folds down and exposes screws just like on the fold out pockets. Thanks.

-Allen-

Mission accomplished. Thanks Allen!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Out of curiosity, what will Tony do to them? Can he replace the aluminum trim or just the vinyl?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

The forward screw on the fixed pocket (the visible one) should be a phillips, not an allen style.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    The forward screw on the fixed pocket (the visible one) should be a phillips, not an allen style.
    Mine are allen type. Must have switched out sometime over the past forty years.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Mine are allen type. Must have switched out sometime over the past forty years.
    No, obviously, there were two types. I do believe the Phillips is also correct as I have that, I see, on one of my cars. So, concours nuts can go crazy and figure out when they changed. Mine with the Phillips is a '70. The Allen Head bolt was found on a pocket I bought..come to think of it, I think that was a '70 too! Thanks.

-Allen-

Four pockets removed, packed, and shipped to Tony this morning.

Little projects like this amaze me. The first side took about an hour, while the second side took only about twenty minutes including removal and replacement of armrest and door panel.

I was also very happy to see how clean and solid the inside of both my doors are!

Thanks again for the tip Allen!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921