Thread: What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Some of you may remember Millie, my ’70 T I drove halfway across the country when I purchased her from Doug and Julie about five years ago. Anyway, I named her “Millie” as a tribute to Amelia Earhart. The name was given great thought after spending some considerable time driving her from Ohio, down to Texas, over to California and then up to the great Pacific Northwest. It was truly a great experience and I really got to know the car well. The name came to me along the drive, somewhere around Olympia, just before that epic trip was concluded, by arriving home safely in Seattle. Just me and the car talking to each other; we came to a mutual understanding. “We” decided on the name “Millie” because she seemed like such a great adventurer…just like Amelia Earhart.

A little over two years ago, I purchased my current SWB. I originally named her “Kleine,” which means “shorty” in German. That just didn’t work for me. My decision was hastily made. I wanted to name my car so badly; I just didn’t give the name enough thought. Given this rash decision, we didn’t have that great connection I had with Millie.

After I got her out of Eurotech Bodywerkes in Kirkland, WA with some new body and paintwork, I thought it was appropriate to rename her. She really looked a lot more purple than she did before, so I named her “Violet”. The inside joke is that I named her after Violet Beauregarde, because she too was a little bratty. This name again just hasn’t worked. Unlike when I attempted to name her previously, this decision was not hastily made, but it was more forced. I wanted a meaningful name so badly. After some research and consulting a few of my friends, I decided on "Violet." Although I asked for input from others and spent a greater amount of time choosing a name this time, something still just wasn’t right, something I could not figure out.

So, I just got back on yet another fine adventure of driving over 2,500 miles of the greatest driving roads that I have driven. I’ve had some nice improvements to the car completed over at Gerber Motorsport in Seattle, WA in the past several months and really haven’t had a chance to drive the car much since the improvements were completed. Needless to say, it drives completely different. It drives amazing to be perfectly honest. The transformation of this little car is truly incredible…it just buzzes down the road.

There is something to be said about driving a car a long distance…you just get to know each other…quite well actually. I hiccup; the car pulls to the left a little. The car hiccups and I pull my head to the right a little. The car learned a lot about me and I learned a tremendous amount about the car. They say that communication between couples is key to a great long-lasting relationship, and this is no less import for a driver and his/her car. Bottom line, what I am trying to say is that we are both now in sync with each other.

I was driving back last night somewhere outside Olympia, about 12 hours into our 14-hour trip back from Monterey, when it finally hit me. My car has been talking to me all this time, but I wasn’t REALLY listening. I was only hearing what I wanted to hear.

I have seen the signs. They were right in front of my face, but I was too blind to the reality. I was so self-involved that I didn’t even care enough to ask. What a pure lack of respect I had for my car. Yes, my car’s name was wrong, but what I didn’t realize is that not only was the name wrong, the gender was wrong as well. She’s not a she. She’s a he! My car has been going through an identity crisis for over two years and I didn’t even know. Better yet, I flat out just didn’t care enough to know. I feel terrible. This whole crisis could have been averted if I had just communicated better with my car.

All this being said, I would like to formally introduce you to "Buzz," my '65 SWB. We decided that “he” should be named Buzz for two reasons. First, he is named after another great adventurer, Buzz Aldrin. Second, after the great buzz sound he communicates to me at 4,000 + RPMs.

Elvis has left the building.

I've been buzzed by Buzz! that one weekend morning i was walking by the old town end of Seattle and down from the elevated expressway ramp came the wail that could only mean one thing.

Reza

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    I've been buzzed by Buzz!
    I like that. Maybe I should have a bumper sticker or a license plate frame made up that says "You've just been buzzed by Buzz!"

Buzz is pretty butch after Minnie and Violet, must've been quite the drive. Post-op transgendered 911?
    We accept, we do not judge.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Scooter - great story of the evolution of Buzz. It definitely is more butch than Barney, because when Barney speaks, it just isn't all that pleasant. But when he sings, he really sings! Glad you made it back safe and sound.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Nice car Scott.

OK, now we know his name - tell us more about what you've done to him.

I see the roll bar and the Minilites and some R touches...
    What else ?
    Stock engine ?

More pics.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I've never been much for naming cars. I've only owned one vehicle with a name and only because the PO painted "Hazel" on the B-pillar of my brown '52 GMC pick-up.

Violet was always the wrong name for your car. Buzz is perfect...

I see an action figure in your future as well.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Thanks guys for your acceptance of Buzz. I've had him for a couple of years and have made quite a few changes in that time. He is going to be featured in Esses magazine next month, so I will have to wait on adding details until the article comes out and then supplement as needed. I just don't want to steal John's thunder, so to speak. Great, great magazine by the way. You should all be a member here, so you get the magazine. Until then, here is another shot of Buzz in his natural environment...at the track in Buttonwillow (parked - for now):

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter 911 View Post
    I have seen the signs. They were right in front of my face, but I was too blind to the reality. I was so self-involved that I didn’t even care enough to ask. What a pure lack of respect I had for my car. Yes, my car’s name was wrong, but what I didn’t realize is that not only was the name wrong, the gender was wrong as well. She’s not a she. She’s a he! My car has been going through an identity crisis for over two years and I didn’t even know. Better yet, I flat out just didn’t care enough to know. I feel terrible. This whole crisis could have been averted if I had just communicated better with my car.
    Looks great Scott! You know for a moment, I thought you were going to say "Chaz"! Buzz works!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks Michael.

Nope, this one was a guy the whole time. It was my mistake. No gender reassignment necessary.