Thread: '73 double locker mechanism

'73 double locker mechanism

Hello - does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might be able to find a pair of double locker mechanisms for my sport seats? Tony at AutoBahn is restoring my seats and frames, and we discovered that somewhere along the line someone converted the double lockers to single lockers by removing the aluminum (?) cross bar and linkages. Looking to get the seats back to their original condition. Any suggestions?

-Mike

Hi Mike, just in case it helps are the seats from a 1972?

Thanks

Alan

From a '73 the best I can tell. The bases have the connection points for the second lockker but all of the aluminum pieces are missing. My car is a '73 US delivery so from what I understand the double lockers are correct for the seats and car. Do you know of anyone fabricating replacement aluminum pieces?

Some late 72 and early 73 seats came with the appearance of having the double lockers, but ultimately didn't have them. The mounting "tabs" for the aluminum bits are there, but the cross bars aren't. So.... your seats weren't modified in my opinion... they just never came as double lockers.

Note that double lockers were implemented in the early part of the 73 MY, so not all cars had double locker sport seats.

regards,
    Eric
    Deputy SSSP (super secret sportseat police...)

Dear Deputy SSSP,

That would explain it. Thanks for the insight. Looks like my brackets may be a bit too early for my car. Do you know if these earlier brackets with the tabs can be updated to double lockers or are there other design differences beyond the missing alum bits and cross bars?

I should also thank you for the great houndstooth material at Tony's. It's beautiful stuff. Can't wait to see the seats in my car.

The other thing that might give away wether or not it is a double locker is the shape of the locking piece itself.
    Most double lockers were 3 times the thickness of the single locker metal piece.
    As far as I know, all pieces were made of steel, not aluminum.
    Thats why these things are so freaking heavy!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    =========================================
    2.4T 1972 Targa - Tangerine German Delivery Ölklappe
    2.4T 1973 Coupe - Golden Green 911ST with 2.8 MFI TwinPlug
    1.7 1970 914-4 - Hell Elfenbein Weiss to be Sonauto GT with a Six
    Looking for engine #6522576
    Rgruppe #674

BIG + 1 on freaking heavy!

When I bought my car in '89 I was able to manage taking them out by myself... 22 years later that is not the case......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I have a set of sport seat bases out of a '73 that are missing the entire tilt frame and locking mechanisms. It looks as if someone has removed them to use the bases to mount modern seats. Does anyone have any experience with this? How hard would it be to fabricate new tilt mechanisms?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    BIG + 1 on freaking heavy!

When I bought my car in '89 I was able to manage taking them out by myself... 22 years later that is not the case......
    Take the seats off the bases first, then remove the bases. Easy as pie and light as a feather.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687