Thread: Headrests

Headrests

I've always wondered what the point of the rotating headrests were. I presumed it was to move the rest closer to the head. But, the headrests can rotate so easily, I don't know that feature would help at all in a real crash. I always like the narrower, curvier headrests, comparted to the D shaped ones on my car. Though I recently read for the first time that the D shaped ones were for the leather seats. I never knew.

Anyway, what are the rests on this 911? The seem to go all the way down the back of the seat:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those head rests looks to be the generic one's. The one's that slide over the top of the seat. If you look closely you also see (what I think) a difference in shade. I have seen them more often in Mercedes and BMW.

Richard

I don't know. It seems to me that the rest is like a "p" with the leg of the P going down the back of the seat. Maybe I didn't realize this is what earlier cars had for head rests. I'm familiar with the ones on my '73 that have the rods that go into the top of the seat back, and the 356 and very early 911 type that have chrome legs that slide into those little chrome buckles that are on the top back of the seat with two screws and a large round knob to tighten.

Like I said, these seem to be a wide leather/vinyl covered back.

Jay

Isnt' this a SWB ? IMHO the headrest are aftermarket and installed on seats originally w no headrests. Or the owner wanted these instead of regular ones but did wanted the older 356' style. I saw this design in period ads for euro cars like BMW, Opel, Alfa, I think.
    Registry member No.773

Interesting. Actually, this particular car was brought to the US by a German woman in 1967.

Well, while most US cars did had headrests, Europeans did not follow this trend until the early seventies. After all, opposite to the US DOT laws, Europe did not adopt similar ones until years later and it was free for each country to adopt which law and at what given date.
    Leaving factory, this euro car might did not have headrests.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-30-2011 at 06:14 AM.
    Registry member No.773