Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoddard Porsche - End of an Era

Stoddard Porsche - End of an Era

I guess I'm late to the party as usual. Stoddard is no longer a Porsche dealer and are moving their location. They are strictly a classic parts business now.

http://www.stoddard.com/

Stoddard was the place to go back in the day. My '71 Targa had much of its service work done at Stoddard in 70's and 80's. When John Truman was there, he built my 2.5L motor ... 30+ years later it's still running strong! (He also built the 2.2L engine in Cornpanzer's car and his new uber-motor). Although Chuck Stoddard hasn't been involved in the business for years, he showed up at our Sat morning 'Stuart Tool' (a Detroit area Porsche-Audi-VW cars & coffee) a few weeks ago.

Name:  stoddard.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  40.0 KB

wow I wanted a new GT3 from them
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

As long as I an get some parts from them I am happy. I have ordered from them over the years and only received good parts and good service.
    911 S Targa 68 11850243
    911 S 69 #119300002 Ex Dr.F Porsche
    911 ST Replica 72
    59 VW Deluxe Microbus 23 Window
    58 Durkopp Diana Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by ST Man View Post
    As long as I an get some parts from them I am happy. I have ordered from them over the years and only received good parts and good service.
    I'm the same....have bought many parts from them in the past, but never used them as a dealer/repair shop.
    Guess I'll never see a change.....
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

sad news. probably speaks to the changes in the Porsche business. I have been debating buying a new Porsche for my daily car when I return. Its amazing the options available, etc. But my old 911's inspire me way more than 100k+ new Porsches, am I crazy?

I remember them making me move my 65 911, during their swap meet, from a parking space in front of their dealership presumably because it wasnt the "image " they wanted to project. I do wish the parts business the best of luck, they give good service.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Man View Post
    Same here. I've had only good experiences with Stoddard's parts operation to date.

I do understand lamenting the loss of a dealership that was supportive of the enthusiast crowd and had a hand in its growth. I felt the same way about Holbert's being absorbed into the Thompson organization.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Chuck Stoddard actually sold the business some time back. I was there last year for the 356 Registry East coast holiday, and met the new owner of the classic parts company. They have been separate business for some time now, but sharing space. The new owner is a real enthusiast and is actively trying to increase inventory of parts and reproducing NLA items. They are also looking for new vendors to reproduce parts. They also purchased Brad Rippleys company NLA http://www.nlaparts.com/store/

It is the end of a era, but the new company is in good hands, and we will all benefit from it.
    Last edited by super9064; 06-01-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    Rob Abbott

Have been talking with Kevin the body shop manager at Stoddars for about the last month and a half. He has been with the dealship for over 30 years, and two diffrent owners over the years, now a third. New Car and new parts dealership were bought by Roger Penskey, both Audi and Porsche. The two dealerships have been seperated. Audi staying at the old location. In the sale seperation Stoddard NLA has been formed. My account number remains the same at both and Iam told that my discount is still aviable at both as well. Have not ordered anything from either yet. Been saving funds for a trip to Stoddards Cellete for the Orange car, should happen in July when they get an opeaning. Might take awhile for them to get the split up all ironed out but it sounds like all sides want to keep things wroking well for all. Including us the coustomers. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

add The swap meet is still supposed to happen, but at a driffrent location other than the new Porsche Dealership with a driffrent date. Have not looked into the swap meet though.
    Last edited by WCB4; 06-01-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I got some great deals there: 904 LSD, 914/6 drive shafts, and scads of other 356 & 914 parts. One visit to pick up some parts for a Convertible D it was Chuck himself digging up some of the parts. He went up into the loft and brought back some striker plates with a bit of the inner rear wheelhouse attached, and the Drauz label on them. He mentioned that had I not been there in person what would have been shipped to me would have been reproduction cabriolet parts in need of a lot of tweaking. The place was a museum of sorts with an area of the showroom floor set aside for the 904, 917 and a 356 Cab amongst others I remember.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers